Special needs kids from Kolkata school set to show their skills on stage
July 10, 2018
Children from Akshar School in Kolkata are all set to show their acting skills. With just days to go before they stage the famous novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, they are busy learning sign language lessons to do justice to the characters.
Fifty-five students of Akshar School, seven of them with special needs, will present a musical based on the Victor Hugo classic at Kala Mandir on 12 July.
Among them is Ritam Mukhopadhyay, a student of class seven, who closely identifies with Quasimodo, a deaf character who is shunned by people. Ritam has spina bifida, because of which is spinal cord has not developed properly. He finds it hard to move his right leg and wears a caliper.
Ritam says that he would crawl earlier and not walk because of which people avoided him. Like Quasimodo, he would be on his own with imaginary friends.
Also in the play is Ansh Metharamani, who has Prader-Willi Syndrome This is a complex genetic condition that affects many parts of the body. This is his second time on stage and he will be singing.
For director Dana Roy and her team, this project has been a challenging one. This is a touch musical to stage but they wanted to challenge the kids. The children are being taught to sing in Latin, English, Romani and some French.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Understanding Autism and Head banging
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News