Special needs kids from Kolkata school set to show their skills on stage
July 10, 2018
Children from Akshar School in Kolkata are all set to show their acting skills. With just days to go before they stage the famous novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, they are busy learning sign language lessons to do justice to the characters.
Fifty-five students of Akshar School, seven of them with special needs, will present a musical based on the Victor Hugo classic at Kala Mandir on 12 July.
Among them is Ritam Mukhopadhyay, a student of class seven, who closely identifies with Quasimodo, a deaf character who is shunned by people. Ritam has spina bifida, because of which is spinal cord has not developed properly. He finds it hard to move his right leg and wears a caliper.
Ritam says that he would crawl earlier and not walk because of which people avoided him. Like Quasimodo, he would be on his own with imaginary friends.
Also in the play is Ansh Metharamani, who has Prader-Willi Syndrome This is a complex genetic condition that affects many parts of the body. This is his second time on stage and he will be singing.
For director Dana Roy and her team, this project has been a challenging one. This is a touch musical to stage but they wanted to challenge the kids. The children are being taught to sing in Latin, English, Romani and some French.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News