Special needs kids from Kolkata school set to show their skills on stage
July 10, 2018
Children from Akshar School in Kolkata are all set to show their acting skills. With just days to go before they stage the famous novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, they are busy learning sign language lessons to do justice to the characters.
Fifty-five students of Akshar School, seven of them with special needs, will present a musical based on the Victor Hugo classic at Kala Mandir on 12 July.
Among them is Ritam Mukhopadhyay, a student of class seven, who closely identifies with Quasimodo, a deaf character who is shunned by people. Ritam has spina bifida, because of which is spinal cord has not developed properly. He finds it hard to move his right leg and wears a caliper.
Ritam says that he would crawl earlier and not walk because of which people avoided him. Like Quasimodo, he would be on his own with imaginary friends.
Also in the play is Ansh Metharamani, who has Prader-Willi Syndrome This is a complex genetic condition that affects many parts of the body. This is his second time on stage and he will be singing.
For director Dana Roy and her team, this project has been a challenging one. This is a touch musical to stage but they wanted to challenge the kids. The children are being taught to sing in Latin, English, Romani and some French.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News