Meet R Suresh, the sign language interpreter for Tamil Nadu sports council of the deaf!
July 10, 2018
52 year old R Suresh from Madurai does a very unique and interesting job. He is the sign language interpreter for Tamil Nadu sports council of the deaf! Suresh is thoroughly in love with his job and feels extremely great that he has been bridging the gap between deaf athletes and government officials.
It all started a few years ago when Suresh, who hails from Nilgiris, lost his job at the Hindustan Photo Films in Ooty. The company had to shut down due to financial constraints, and Suresh decided to lead a retired life with his two daughters in Chennai. That is when an official from Nilgiris association for the deaf asked him to join them. From there he took off to become the sign language interpreter at the sports council.
He has known sign language for more than three decades now. Suresh, who is also a musician, wanted to communicate with his close friends who were deaf and part of a band. That is how his tryst with sign language started. Now, it has ended him up with a job post retirement!
Suresh says that his job is extremely fulfilling. In a recent meeting, a state minister offered full support to the association. It makes him happy to see how deaf athletes rejoice after he communicates such good news to them.
Suresh points out there are heated arguments at meetings. This sign language interpreter has a tough time trying to convince some athletes who are unhappy with certain things. But Suresh definitely has no complaints. He is happy and content with his job!
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News