21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Acid Attack Survivors
It has been over a year since the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, RPWD 2016, came into effect. The Act has been called a game changer for people with disabilities in India. Among the important aspects is that the number of disabilities has been increased from seven to 21.
However, there is little awareness about these changes. So, starting today, we have a weekly series where we tell readers what the 21 disabilities are.
This week we talk about Acid Attack Survivors.
For the first time, acid attack survivors or acid attack victims have been recognized in the disabled category.An acid attack victim refers to a person who has suffered a violent assault as a result of acid or a similar corrosive substance being thrown at them.
In most cases, acids or corrosive chemicals are thrown at the face resulting in the skin burning, damage to skin tissue, and even dissolving of bones in some severe attacks.
Most victims are women, who are punished for not responding to romantic advances from men. In some cases, former husbands or boyfriends have used it to disfigure, maim or kill women as revenge. Studies show that the motive is mostly not to kill, but humiliate the women by altering their appearance.
In India, laws exist to prevent the sale and easy availability of harmful chemicals, yet acid attacks are common. The life of a survivor is greatly affected greatly after such attacks. By including acid attack victims in RPWD 2016, the government has recognized them as deserving of help and aid.
Some of the problems faced by acid attack survivors are :
• Permanent scarring of the face and body
• Loss of vision
• Loss of ability to communicate and eat
• Respiratory problems
• Social difficulties
• Psychological difficulties
• Economic difficulties
Watch in Sign Language
- Some common misconceptions about Braille
January 24, 2019
- Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
January 23, 2019
- The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
January 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 23, 2019 PM Modi’s gifts to be auctioned for Ganga
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Bhopal is hosting Deaf Festival 2019, know more
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News