Marina & Elliot beaches in Chennai to be made accessible for disabled people, permanently
July 11, 2018
Chennai's popular beaches, Marina and Elliot, will now be made accessible for people with disabilities. This is after years of persistent efforts by disability rights groups like Vidya Sagar.
Chennai municipal corporation authorities plan to build a permanent ramp, to allow disabled people easy access. This is just one of the many things planned. The Board of Directors of Chennai Smart City have cleared a proposal to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) to make the beaches accessible.
Efforts will be taken to make sure that eco-friendly design and material will be used for the construction. Authorities are looking at the practices followed in Miami Beach in the United States to ensure its up to global standards. These include using wooden platforms and rolling mats to improve accessibility at the Marina and Elliot beaches.
Some of the accessibility features at the Miami beach are a boardwalk that is accessible by wheelchair for a six-kilometre stretch, we well as beach wheelchairs.
The Greater Chennai Corporation, which is the implementing agency, will take up the process of selecting the consultant. Last year, the agency, in partnership with Vidya Sagar, set up a temporary accessible pathway across the Marina beach, to mark World Disability Day. Around 250 people had come to play in the water. Activists had asked for a permanent solution instead of making this a once a year activity.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 Game changing innovations that enable inclusion - Global Accessibility Awareness Day special
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Events May 17, 2019 Multiple Sclerosis - Invisible Symptoms
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News