Marina & Elliot beaches in Chennai to be made accessible for disabled people, permanently
July 11, 2018
Chennai's popular beaches, Marina and Elliot, will now be made accessible for people with disabilities. This is after years of persistent efforts by disability rights groups like Vidya Sagar.
Chennai municipal corporation authorities plan to build a permanent ramp, to allow disabled people easy access. This is just one of the many things planned. The Board of Directors of Chennai Smart City have cleared a proposal to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) to make the beaches accessible.
Efforts will be taken to make sure that eco-friendly design and material will be used for the construction. Authorities are looking at the practices followed in Miami Beach in the United States to ensure its up to global standards. These include using wooden platforms and rolling mats to improve accessibility at the Marina and Elliot beaches.
Some of the accessibility features at the Miami beach are a boardwalk that is accessible by wheelchair for a six-kilometre stretch, we well as beach wheelchairs.
The Greater Chennai Corporation, which is the implementing agency, will take up the process of selecting the consultant. Last year, the agency, in partnership with Vidya Sagar, set up a temporary accessible pathway across the Marina beach, to mark World Disability Day. Around 250 people had come to play in the water. Activists had asked for a permanent solution instead of making this a once a year activity.
Watch in Sign Language
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Narendra Modi conferred with UAE’s highest civilian honour
- Headlines August 24, 2019 No more peace talks with India, says Imran Khan
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Accessibility August 26, 2019 Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Amazon forest burns at record rate
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News