Marina & Elliot beaches in Chennai to be made accessible for disabled people, permanently
Chennai's popular beaches, Marina and Elliot, will now be made accessible for people with disabilities. This is after years of persistent efforts by disability rights groups like Vidya Sagar.
Chennai municipal corporation authorities plan to build a permanent ramp, to allow disabled people easy access. This is just one of the many things planned. The Board of Directors of Chennai Smart City have cleared a proposal to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) to make the beaches accessible.
Efforts will be taken to make sure that eco-friendly design and material will be used for the construction. Authorities are looking at the practices followed in Miami Beach in the United States to ensure its up to global standards. These include using wooden platforms and rolling mats to improve accessibility at the Marina and Elliot beaches.
Some of the accessibility features at the Miami beach are a boardwalk that is accessible by wheelchair for a six-kilometre stretch, we well as beach wheelchairs.
The Greater Chennai Corporation, which is the implementing agency, will take up the process of selecting the consultant. Last year, the agency, in partnership with Vidya Sagar, set up a temporary accessible pathway across the Marina beach, to mark World Disability Day. Around 250 people had come to play in the water. Activists had asked for a permanent solution instead of making this a once a year activity.
Watch in Sign Language
- #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
November 19, 2018
- Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
November 18, 2018
- MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Ranveer & Deepika back in India after tying the knot
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Mithali Raj is highest T20I run scorer in India, beats Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Events November 20, 2018 Basic Computer Training Program for Children & Adults with Special Needs
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018