Marina & Elliot beaches in Chennai to be made accessible for disabled people, permanently
Chennai's popular beaches, Marina and Elliot, will now be made accessible for people with disabilities. This is after years of persistent efforts by disability rights groups like Vidya Sagar.
Chennai municipal corporation authorities plan to build a permanent ramp, to allow disabled people easy access. This is just one of the many things planned. The Board of Directors of Chennai Smart City have cleared a proposal to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) to make the beaches accessible.
Efforts will be taken to make sure that eco-friendly design and material will be used for the construction. Authorities are looking at the practices followed in Miami Beach in the United States to ensure its up to global standards. These include using wooden platforms and rolling mats to improve accessibility at the Marina and Elliot beaches.
Some of the accessibility features at the Miami beach are a boardwalk that is accessible by wheelchair for a six-kilometre stretch, we well as beach wheelchairs.
The Greater Chennai Corporation, which is the implementing agency, will take up the process of selecting the consultant. Last year, the agency, in partnership with Vidya Sagar, set up a temporary accessible pathway across the Marina beach, to mark World Disability Day. Around 250 people had come to play in the water. Activists had asked for a permanent solution instead of making this a once a year activity.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Amazon Great Indian Sale is here
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Bengaluru NGOs show a large heart with donations for disabled, homeless people
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Headlines January 19, 2019 India wins one day series in Australia
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News