Marina & Elliot beaches in Chennai to be made accessible for disabled people, permanently
July 11, 2018
Chennai's popular beaches, Marina and Elliot, will now be made accessible for people with disabilities. This is after years of persistent efforts by disability rights groups like Vidya Sagar.
Chennai municipal corporation authorities plan to build a permanent ramp, to allow disabled people easy access. This is just one of the many things planned. The Board of Directors of Chennai Smart City have cleared a proposal to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) to make the beaches accessible.
Efforts will be taken to make sure that eco-friendly design and material will be used for the construction. Authorities are looking at the practices followed in Miami Beach in the United States to ensure its up to global standards. These include using wooden platforms and rolling mats to improve accessibility at the Marina and Elliot beaches.
Some of the accessibility features at the Miami beach are a boardwalk that is accessible by wheelchair for a six-kilometre stretch, we well as beach wheelchairs.
The Greater Chennai Corporation, which is the implementing agency, will take up the process of selecting the consultant. Last year, the agency, in partnership with Vidya Sagar, set up a temporary accessible pathway across the Marina beach, to mark World Disability Day. Around 250 people had come to play in the water. Activists had asked for a permanent solution instead of making this a once a year activity.
Watch in Sign Language
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
- Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News