Law books being printed in Braille for the first time in Odisha!
July 13, 2018
For the first time in Odisha, law books are being printed in Braille! This is after two visually impaired young men qualified for the State civil service.
The books are being printed at Red Cross Computerised Braille Press in Berhampur. This is the only Braille press in Odisha. So far, 20 volumes of law books have been printed in Braille. These include books on basic laws as well as service rules of government servants.
Seventeen more law books will be printed in Braille in the coming months.
The move comes after two visually impaired youth qualified for the Odisha Administrative Service last year. A need was felt for law books in Braille for their training. The Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department ordered the printing of all law books needed by administrators in Braille.
The law books that have been transcribed into Braille so far include the ones related to law and order like the Indian Penal Code, Code of Criminal Procedure, Dowry Prevention Act and Orissa Police Act.
To help visually impaired administrators in revenue matters, Braille books on Manual of Tahsil Accounts, Orissa Survey and Settlement Manual, Orissa Government Land Settlement Act, Orissa Mutation Manual, Orissa Moneylenders Manual and Orissa Law of Mines and Minerals have been printed.
Many are hoping that this will encourage more visually impaired people to take up government administrative jobs.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News