Law books being printed in Braille for the first time in Odisha!
July 13, 2018
For the first time in Odisha, law books are being printed in Braille! This is after two visually impaired young men qualified for the State civil service.
The books are being printed at Red Cross Computerised Braille Press in Berhampur. This is the only Braille press in Odisha. So far, 20 volumes of law books have been printed in Braille. These include books on basic laws as well as service rules of government servants.
Seventeen more law books will be printed in Braille in the coming months.
The move comes after two visually impaired youth qualified for the Odisha Administrative Service last year. A need was felt for law books in Braille for their training. The Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department ordered the printing of all law books needed by administrators in Braille.
The law books that have been transcribed into Braille so far include the ones related to law and order like the Indian Penal Code, Code of Criminal Procedure, Dowry Prevention Act and Orissa Police Act.
To help visually impaired administrators in revenue matters, Braille books on Manual of Tahsil Accounts, Orissa Survey and Settlement Manual, Orissa Government Land Settlement Act, Orissa Mutation Manual, Orissa Moneylenders Manual and Orissa Law of Mines and Minerals have been printed.
Many are hoping that this will encourage more visually impaired people to take up government administrative jobs.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News