This children’s contest enabled inclusion through books!
Books play a very important role in the development of a child. They are literally building blocks that help to open doors to creativity, games, arts and other activities. Images, stories, characters, words and colours in every book have a deep and lasting impact on a child. More than hundreds of books are published in India every year. But how many children with special needs are able to connect with these books?
Parag along with Duckbill Books and Vidya Sagar School at Chennai recently held a Children’s first Contest that brought together children from different walks of life. The event helped to throw light on the requirements of children with special needs. Their hopes, fears, mischief and fun were celebrated at the event through books and its characters!
At the event, children with special needs were introduced to many new books that registered their presence in a more sensitive manner in the society.
For example, the character named Magesh in the story Vibhuti Cat is a boy with lots of zest and energy. But he has speech impairment and does not have any friends. His best friend is his elder brother Vignesh and Vibhuti cat! Magesh loves drawing and he draws beautiful pictures of Vibhuti cat. It literally becomes a form of expression for Magesh, and he gains his confidence!
A child with special need will definitely relate to the character and be inspired to come out of his shell after reading this story. Vibhuti cat also highlights how a supportive family helps Magesh overcome his disabilities with ease.
Organizers introduced many similar stories and books at the event. By doing this, they ensured that inclusion is taken seriously. When a child with no disability reads the same books, they learn to connect with characters and will also believe in lending a helping hand for their counterparts who has a disability.
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
- Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
- Help your child with autism sleep better
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 8, 2018 PM Modi spends Diwali at Kedarnath, meets soldiers on India-China border
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Headlines November 11, 2018 ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ crosses Rs 50 crore on first day of release
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 India takes the fight against leprosy to people's doorsteps
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018