Medical Council of India issues guidelines to bar candidates with learning disabilities
The Medical Council of India (MCI) has introduced new set of guidelines for candidates with learning disabilities who plans to join MBBS courses. This has put the future of many candidates with learning disabilties at stake!
According to the new guideline, people with not less than 40% learning disability cannot apply for MBBS courses under the disabled quota. More than 110 candidates have been found eligible to join the course under the reservation quota for disabled students under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPWD). Due to this new guideline, eight students with learning disabilities will not be allowed to join the course!
Entrance exams were conducted on May, and the results had already come out in June. All of these students had cleared the exams as well. This new guideline has agitated disabled students, parents, psychologists and experts from the field.
The students approached the Bombay High Court, but it did not yield any results. Now, they are all set to go to the Supreme Court to raise their concern hoping for justice.
Whereas, MCI strongly says that only candidates who comes under the list of 21 disabilities of the RPWD are eligible for MBBS seats. Learning disabilities never came under this quota.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News