Amrita University develops self-driving wheelchair to make mobility easier!
July 13, 2018
A self-driving wheelchair can ease the mobility issues for disabled people in a large way. That is just what a bunch of researchers from Amrita University has developed!
A few members from the Electronics and Communications Engineering Department of Amrita University in Coimbatore were in the look out to create something unique for a project that came under their University's Humanitarian Technology Lab. What better way other than creating something useful for people with disabilities and the elderly as well! Hence, this self-driving wheelchair was born.
The wheelchair runs in three modes which include the automated, fixed automatic and manual modes.
The fully automated mode helps the user to move in a mapped area. The fixed automatic mode will enable the person to move from their position to any other position in the mapped area. Manual mode will facilitate them to move around freely using a navigation system which will be under their control.
This self-driving wheelchair has a lidar and ultrasonic sensors to find any obstacles in their path. The sensors will detect obstacles that are at least 20 cms away.
The user also has the freedom to choose the speed in which the wheelchair has to move.
The team who developed this wheelchair had to begin from scratch. But with the help of the university, their colleagues and students, this self driven wheelchair has become a reality!
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News