168 government buildings made disabled-friendly under Accessible India Campaign
Are our government and private buildings accessible for people with disabilities and the elderly? In spite of promises given, the government has failed many times to keep up to their word. Looks like, the path to change just got better. The Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has said that they have already made 168 government buildings across the country accessible.
There are 219 government buildings across India. According to reports, CPWD targets to make all of these accessible by the end of August this year under the government’s Accessible India Campaign!
This initiative by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has been lauded by disabled people, NGO’s and activists across the country.
The CPWD is installing wheelchair ramps, panels on Braille scripts and other such facilities to cater to disabled people.
An official from the CPWD said that they have given estimates to concerned state departments to carry out works to make buildings accessible at the earliest.
Do you know a disabled family or friend who has to finish off work from a government office? Assure them that mobility and accessibility is going to be smoother and better from August!
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Trump tells India & Pakistan to get along
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Events February 21, 2019 Kalakaar 2.0
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019