168 government buildings made disabled-friendly under Accessible India Campaign
July 15, 2018
Are our government and private buildings accessible for people with disabilities and the elderly? In spite of promises given, the government has failed many times to keep up to their word. Looks like, the path to change just got better. The Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has said that they have already made 168 government buildings across the country accessible.
There are 219 government buildings across India. According to reports, CPWD targets to make all of these accessible by the end of August this year under the government's Accessible India Campaign!
This initiative by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has been lauded by disabled people, NGO's and activists across the country.
The CPWD is installing wheelchair ramps, panels on Braille scripts and other such facilities to cater to disabled people.
An official from the CPWD said that they have given estimates to concerned state departments to carry out works to make buildings accessible at the earliest.
Do you know a disabled family or friend who has to finish off work from a government office? Assure them that mobility and accessibility is going to be smoother and better from August!
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News