168 government buildings made disabled-friendly under Accessible India Campaign
Are our government and private buildings accessible for people with disabilities and the elderly? In spite of promises given, the government has failed many times to keep up to their word. Looks like, the path to change just got better. The Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has said that they have already made 168 government buildings across the country accessible.
There are 219 government buildings across India. According to reports, CPWD targets to make all of these accessible by the end of August this year under the government’s Accessible India Campaign!
This initiative by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has been lauded by disabled people, NGO’s and activists across the country.
The CPWD is installing wheelchair ramps, panels on Braille scripts and other such facilities to cater to disabled people.
An official from the CPWD said that they have given estimates to concerned state departments to carry out works to make buildings accessible at the earliest.
Do you know a disabled family or friend who has to finish off work from a government office? Assure them that mobility and accessibility is going to be smoother and better from August!
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Disability Heroes - Virali Modi is open & proud about her disability
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Accessibility December 5, 2018 PVR's Accessible Cinema Program shows the way forward in inclusion
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Prime Minister Modi attends Priyanka-Nick’s reception party
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News