A smart prosthetic ankle that adapts to different terrain!
A new prosthetic ankle has been developed that is virtually close to the real thing! This is a prosthetic ankle that moves on its own, adapting to the user’s walk and the surface on which it lands.
The ankle does a lot of work when we walk. There are very few prostheses that can replicate all its motions. This means that the work done by a prosthetic ankle is quite basic. This new prototype, developed by a mechanical engineering professor in the United States, goes much further.
Inside the prototype are a motor and actuator, controlled by a chip. The chip senses and classifies motion and determines how each step should look. The device adapts to what is around it.
So a person can walk up and down slopes, up the stairs and down, and device figures out what the person is doing and functions the way it should.
When it senses that the foot has lifted up for a step, it can lift the toe up to keep it clear, and this way exposing the heel so that when the limb comes down, it can roll into the next step. By reading the pressure both from above and below, it can make the step feel close to the natural one.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education October 24, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability- Dyscalculia
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Get-hooked October 24, 2018 Some tips to help boost self-esteem of a child with autism
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Accessibility October 22, 2018 Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Three more women denied entry into Sabarimala
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
- Headlines October 24, 2018 Minister Smriti Irani's comments on Sabrimala shrine raises protests
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Parasports October 23, 2018 India whitewash Sri Lanka, win T20 series 5-0
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News