A smart prosthetic ankle that adapts to different terrain!
July 16, 2018
A new prosthetic ankle has been developed that is virtually close to the real thing! This is a prosthetic ankle that moves on its own, adapting to the user's walk and the surface on which it lands.
The ankle does a lot of work when we walk. There are very few prostheses that can replicate all its motions. This means that the work done by a prosthetic ankle is quite basic. This new prototype, developed by a mechanical engineering professor in the United States, goes much further.
Inside the prototype are a motor and actuator, controlled by a chip. The chip senses and classifies motion and determines how each step should look. The device adapts to what is around it.
So a person can walk up and down slopes, up the stairs and down, and device figures out what the person is doing and functions the way it should.
When it senses that the foot has lifted up for a step, it can lift the toe up to keep it clear, and this way exposing the heel so that when the limb comes down, it can roll into the next step. By reading the pressure both from above and below, it can make the step feel close to the natural one.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News