Punjab schools to put up boards mentioning rights of disabled students
July 17, 2018
A welcome step to promote inclusion in the school education system! The Punjab School Education Board (PSEB) has directed all schools to display boards that mention the rights of disabled students under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, outside the institutions.
The PSEB has said that many schools are not following the orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court that say all schools must put up these boards to spread awareness among people about RPWD 2016.
To empower people with disabilities and create awareness among the public as well, the High Court had also directed the Education Department to put such display boards outside schools, on public transport buses, at hospitals and government offices.
The PSEB has warned the schools of tough action if they do not follow these orders.
In April this year, the Department of Medical Education and Research (DMER) in Punjab had increased the reservation for disabled candidates from 3% to 5% on seats in medical courses in the state.
Though there are about 50 MBBS seats reserved for physically disabled persons in eight medical colleges in the state, only 11 candidates in this category have applied at Baba Farid University of Health Sciences (BFUHS) for these seats. Counselling for MBBS admission is underway,
More than 40 of these MBBS seats reserved for the physically handicapped or disabled persons will remain vacant and these will be merged into general category.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Accessibility April 23, 2019 Chennai airport's new terminal to show a disabled-friendly, accessible face
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News