Punjab schools to put up boards mentioning rights of disabled students
A welcome step to promote inclusion in the school education system! The Punjab School Education Board (PSEB) has directed all schools to display boards that mention the rights of disabled students under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, outside the institutions.
The PSEB has said that many schools are not following the orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court that say all schools must put up these boards to spread awareness among people about RPWD 2016.
To empower people with disabilities and create awareness among the public as well, the High Court had also directed the Education Department to put such display boards outside schools, on public transport buses, at hospitals and government offices.
The PSEB has warned the schools of tough action if they do not follow these orders.
In April this year, the Department of Medical Education and Research (DMER) in Punjab had increased the reservation for disabled candidates from 3% to 5% on seats in medical courses in the state.
Though there are about 50 MBBS seats reserved for physically disabled persons in eight medical colleges in the state, only 11 candidates in this category have applied at Baba Farid University of Health Sciences (BFUHS) for these seats. Counselling for MBBS admission is underway,
More than 40 of these MBBS seats reserved for the physically handicapped or disabled persons will remain vacant and these will be merged into general category.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Arun Jaitley back in India after treatment
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019