More than 200 army men are disabled every year after injuries!
It takes a lot of grit, courage, determination and hard work to join the Indian armed forces. Our defence personnel’s work in hilly terrains, snow covered peaks and dense forests. Their risky jobs can even cost their lives. According to reports, at least 200 armed forces personnel are disabled every year due to various injuries!
Most of the times, their injuries are related to spinal cord or limbs causing a permanent damage. Some of them even have crippled intestines and lungs due to injuries at abdomen and chest.
Experts say that the armed medical services believe in saving a life by ensuring that minimum damage is done to the body.
The Indian army has set up an Artificial Limb Centre at Pune to cater to disabled army personnel’s. The government also plans to start centres and hospitals across North India so that a disabled soldier does not have to travel a lot in order to get medical help!
Our army personnel’s have been protecting borders of our nation, mainly at Jammu and Kashmir and North-East. India boasts of over 10 lakh defence personnel’s. More than 200 being disabled every year is a huge number!
Watch in Sign Language
- The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
December 11, 2018
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje accuses opposition leader of body-shaming
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News