21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Parkinson's disease
July 27, 2018
The 21 disabilities covered by the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, RPWD 2016 also include Parkinson's disease.
Here is some more information about Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease is a chronic disease of the central nervous system and affects the motor control of the body.
Parkinson's disease affects the part of the brain that controls and manages the movement of our limbs and body parts.
The brain does not get the signals from the nerve cells and is not able to control the movements of the body or muscles.
In simple words, the brain cells start dying and that causes the body to become uncontrollable.
The common symptoms shown by people with the disease are:
- Balance problems
- Muscle Tension
- Weakness In Hands
- Walking problems
There's no cure for Parkinson's disease but medicines and care can help manage the symptoms to a certain extent. Scientists are still trying to find the reasons that cause the disease.
The disease affects the day to day life as simple tasks such as eating, closing buttons and drinking water can become difficult.
People at an advanced stage need help and support from others to do their basic chores. The disease makes a person dependent on others for survival.
It is common for people with Parkinson's disease to suffer from depression. The loss of motor skills and dependence on others can make a person feel frustrated and isolated.
Parkinson's disease affects the social life of the person and adds to the psychological stress on the patients.
India's Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 considers the patients of Parkinson's disease as people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News