21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Parkinson's disease
The 21 disabilities covered by the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, RPWD 2016 also include Parkinson's disease.
Here is some more information about Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease is a chronic disease of the central nervous system and affects the motor control of the body.
Parkinson's disease affects the part of the brain that controls and manages the movement of our limbs and body parts.
The brain does not get the signals from the nerve cells and is not able to control the movements of the body or muscles.
In simple words, the brain cells start dying and that causes the body to become uncontrollable.
The common symptoms shown by people with the disease are:
• Balance problems
• Muscle Tension
• Weakness In Hands
• Walking problems
There's no cure for Parkinson's disease but medicines and care can help manage the symptoms to a certain extent. Scientists are still trying to find the reasons that cause the disease.
The disease affects the day to day life as simple tasks such as eating, closing buttons and drinking water can become difficult.
People at an advanced stage need help and support from others to do their basic chores. The disease makes a person dependent on others for survival.
It is common for people with Parkinson's disease to suffer from depression. The loss of motor skills and dependence on others can make a person feel frustrated and isolated.
Parkinson's disease affects the social life of the person and adds to the psychological stress on the patients.
India's Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 considers the patients of Parkinson's disease as people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Headlines January 18, 2019 India to face Australia in ODI final today
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Accessibility January 20, 2019 Get set for #Sabkeliye, India's biggest & boldest accessible shopping initiative ever
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News