21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Parkinson's disease
July 27, 2018
The 21 disabilities covered by the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, RPWD 2016 also include Parkinson's disease.
Here is some more information about Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease is a chronic disease of the central nervous system and affects the motor control of the body.
Parkinson's disease affects the part of the brain that controls and manages the movement of our limbs and body parts.
The brain does not get the signals from the nerve cells and is not able to control the movements of the body or muscles.
In simple words, the brain cells start dying and that causes the body to become uncontrollable.
The common symptoms shown by people with the disease are:
- Balance problems
- Muscle Tension
- Weakness In Hands
- Walking problems
There's no cure for Parkinson's disease but medicines and care can help manage the symptoms to a certain extent. Scientists are still trying to find the reasons that cause the disease.
The disease affects the day to day life as simple tasks such as eating, closing buttons and drinking water can become difficult.
People at an advanced stage need help and support from others to do their basic chores. The disease makes a person dependent on others for survival.
It is common for people with Parkinson's disease to suffer from depression. The loss of motor skills and dependence on others can make a person feel frustrated and isolated.
Parkinson's disease affects the social life of the person and adds to the psychological stress on the patients.
India's Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 considers the patients of Parkinson's disease as people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Events March 14, 2019 Fun Club
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 With 'Get Going', Chennai NGO Vidya Sagar aims to get disabled people out & about
- Events March 14, 2019 Beat It! Drums and Mridangam Show
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News