Shams Alam Sheikh qualifies for Asian Para Games 2018, sets national record
With a rich haul of four gold medals, para swimmer Mohammed Shams Alam Sheikh has qualified for the Asian Para Games 2018 in style! At the Indian Para Open Swimming Championship held recently in Bengaluru, Sheikh won four gold medals in the S5 category, with two national records.
Among the events he took part in were the 200 meters freestyle, 200 metres individual medley, 50 metres butterfly, and 100 metres breast stroke.
This is a truly special moment for Sheikh, who has been struggling for sponsorships and support. He approached various foundations and the Maharashtra government for funds and better coaching facilities, but was disappointed with the response.
Like him, many para-swimmers are struggling in Maharashtra, where there is no culture of helping disabled people. This is different from states like Haryana, Punjab, Bihar, and Delhi, which have sponsorships available.
Speaking to Newz Hook, Sheikh gave credit to the support he has received from his family for getting this far.
I am very focused on my goal and that is why I was able to qualify for the Asian Para Games 2018. I also have a lot of family support and am blessed with strong willpower, so I don't get discouraged or distracted easily - Mohammed Shams Alam Sheikh, Para Swimmer
30-year-old Sheikh, a mechanical engineer by profession and a also a black belt karate player, became paraplegic after he was diagnosed with a spinal tumour and underwent many operations.
He hopes that achievements like these will help change attitudes of society towards the disabled people. "I feel very isolated and discriminated against when it comes to facilities like practice and coaching. People have to understand that we work as hard as the able bodied athletes. Even Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore has said that equal opportunities should be given to all sportspersons, disabled or not. We work as hard to make India proud and people have to see that."
Powerful words? Is India listening?
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019