Mallika Handa wins silver at international deaf chess championship
July 20, 2018
Mallika Handa struck silver at the International Chess Committee of the Deaf (ICCD)'s World Deaf Blitz Chess Championship held in July in Manchester in the United Kingdom.
Handa has been campaigning for the inclusion of chess in the Winter Deaflympics to be held in 2019. Handa was given a grand reception by the Jalandhar district administration when she came back after winning the silver. Senior district officials were waiting to meet her at the railway station. She was also garlanded by sports fans.
Officials said that it was a matter of pride that Handa had won an international-level medal.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Poll results today, NDA prepares for Term 2
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News