Mallika Handa wins silver at international deaf chess championship
July 20, 2018
Mallika Handa struck silver at the International Chess Committee of the Deaf (ICCD)'s World Deaf Blitz Chess Championship held in July in Manchester in the United Kingdom.
Handa has been campaigning for the inclusion of chess in the Winter Deaflympics to be held in 2019. Handa was given a grand reception by the Jalandhar district administration when she came back after winning the silver. Senior district officials were waiting to meet her at the railway station. She was also garlanded by sports fans.
Officials said that it was a matter of pride that Handa had won an international-level medal.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 South Korea’s Duckhee is 1st deaf tennis player to win men's professional tournament
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Don't demonise PM Modi, say senior Congress leaders
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Parasports August 26, 2019 India para shuttlers win 12 medals at BWF World Championship Para-Badminton 2019
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News