Karnataka government just issued Braille EPIC cards for blind voters!
Karnataka is being the torch bearer for inclusive elections! The state just issued Braille EPIC cards for three blind people for upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019.
Basavaraj from Kalaburgi, Irappa Hejagar from Belagavi and Vina from Davangere, were given the specially made cards by officers from the Election Commission.
Authorities said that the government aims to make elections accessible, and issuing EPIC cards is the first step taken for an inclusive election. All the three blind voters said that they had voted in the recent state assembly elections. These new cards will make voting for the upcoming elections easier for them!
The government is all set to implement more facilities for disabled voters in the state. They will install auxiliary polling stations that cater to people with disabilities. Co-ordinators will be appointed at all polling booths. An exclusive mobile app will be launched for disabled people.
On Election Day, people with disabilities and people who accompany them can avail free public transport as well! Officials hope that all these measures will help disabled voters take part in elections without any hassles.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
January 24, 2019
- Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
January 24, 2019
- From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
January 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Bhopal is hosting Deaf Festival 2019, know more
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Dhoni set to add another milestone
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News