Karnataka government just issued Braille EPIC cards for blind voters!
Karnataka is being the torch bearer for inclusive elections! The state just issued Braille EPIC cards for three blind people for upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019.
Basavaraj from Kalaburgi, Irappa Hejagar from Belagavi and Vina from Davangere, were given the specially made cards by officers from the Election Commission.
Authorities said that the government aims to make elections accessible, and issuing EPIC cards is the first step taken for an inclusive election. All the three blind voters said that they had voted in the recent state assembly elections. These new cards will make voting for the upcoming elections easier for them!
The government is all set to implement more facilities for disabled voters in the state. They will install auxiliary polling stations that cater to people with disabilities. Co-ordinators will be appointed at all polling booths. An exclusive mobile app will be launched for disabled people.
On Election Day, people with disabilities and people who accompany them can avail free public transport as well! Officials hope that all these measures will help disabled voters take part in elections without any hassles.
Watch in Sign Language
- 'Meet' the man who is bringing Hindi & Urdu poetry alive for visually impaired people
October 23, 2018
- Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
October 22, 2018
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 Children with autism find a ray of hope at Sunshine in Bengaluru
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Events October 21, 2018 Diwali Mela 2018
- Education October 16, 2018 Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
- Events October 17, 2018 NAB Presents Interactive Meeting with a Global Leader in Accessibility
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News