Karnataka government just issued Braille EPIC cards for blind voters!
July 20, 2018
Karnataka is being the torch bearer for inclusive elections! The state just issued Braille EPIC cards for three blind people for upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019.
Basavaraj from Kalaburgi, Irappa Hejagar from Belagavi and Vina from Davangere, were given the specially made cards by officers from the Election Commission.
Authorities said that the government aims to make elections accessible, and issuing EPIC cards is the first step taken for an inclusive election. All the three blind voters said that they had voted in the recent state assembly elections. These new cards will make voting for the upcoming elections easier for them!
The government is all set to implement more facilities for disabled voters in the state. They will install auxiliary polling stations that cater to people with disabilities. Co-ordinators will be appointed at all polling booths. An exclusive mobile app will be launched for disabled people.
On Election Day, people with disabilities and people who accompany them can avail free public transport as well! Officials hope that all these measures will help disabled voters take part in elections without any hassles.
Watch in Sign Language
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Headlines August 26, 2019 PV Sindhu becomes World Champion
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Education August 24, 2019 CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Accessibility August 25, 2019 Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 South Korea’s Duckhee is 1st deaf tennis player to win men's professional tournament
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Narendra Modi conferred with UAE’s highest civilian honour
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News