Emerging chess champ Yashaswi makes India proud at international deaf chess tournament!
Yashaswi is the newest star in India's world of para sports. This young girl, who is deaf, won a bronze for India at an international deaf chess tournament held in Manchester, United Kingdom recently.
Yashaswi, who is from Bantwal in Karnataka, has a 1300 rating in chess. Her father is a laboratory assistant at a college in Bantwal, while her mother is a government school teacher. Yashaswi was two years old when her parents found out that she was deaf like her elder sister. This was not an issue for her family, who encouraged her in every way.
She was very interested in chess right from childhood. The support of her parents encouraged her to take the game seriously. Even as a primary school student, Yashaswi won several trophies in chess tournaments for children.
She was chosen for a state-level chess tournament in 2016-17 and represented Karnataka in the national level deaf chess championship held in Kerala where she won the first prize.
She also got the first place in the state level deaf chess championship held at Mysuru in November 2017 and national level deaf chess championship held at Madhya Pradesh in December 2017.
Watch in Sign Language
- Mumbai to host first national throwball & swimming camp this week
October 23, 2018
- India whitewash Sri Lanka, win T20 series 5-0
October 23, 2018
- India take on Sri Lanka in 5th & final match of T20 blind cricket series today
October 22, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
- Events October 22, 2018 Tandav 5.0 Volunteer Meetup #2
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer to get married on 15 November
- Get-hooked October 23, 2018 Hum-Drum, a participatory musical program for children with disabilities - My Take by Rzhude David
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Three more women denied entry into Sabarimala
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports October 18, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News