Emerging chess champ Yashaswi makes India proud at international deaf chess tournament!
July 22, 2018
Yashaswi is the newest star in India's world of para sports. This young girl, who is deaf, won a bronze for India at an international deaf chess tournament held in Manchester, United Kingdom recently.
Yashaswi, who is from Bantwal in Karnataka, has a 1300 rating in chess. Her father is a laboratory assistant at a college in Bantwal, while her mother is a government school teacher. Yashaswi was two years old when her parents found out that she was deaf like her elder sister. This was not an issue for her family, who encouraged her in every way.
She was very interested in chess right from childhood. The support of her parents encouraged her to take the game seriously. Even as a primary school student, Yashaswi won several trophies in chess tournaments for children.
She was chosen for a state-level chess tournament in 2016-17 and represented Karnataka in the national level deaf chess championship held in Kerala where she won the first prize.
She also got the first place in the state level deaf chess championship held at Mysuru in November 2017 and national level deaf chess championship held at Madhya Pradesh in December 2017.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Ex Minister Arun Jaitley is no more
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Narendra Modi conferred with UAE’s highest civilian honour
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News