Emerging chess champ Yashaswi makes India proud at international deaf chess tournament!
July 22, 2018
Yashaswi is the newest star in India's world of para sports. This young girl, who is deaf, won a bronze for India at an international deaf chess tournament held in Manchester, United Kingdom recently.
Yashaswi, who is from Bantwal in Karnataka, has a 1300 rating in chess. Her father is a laboratory assistant at a college in Bantwal, while her mother is a government school teacher. Yashaswi was two years old when her parents found out that she was deaf like her elder sister. This was not an issue for her family, who encouraged her in every way.
She was very interested in chess right from childhood. The support of her parents encouraged her to take the game seriously. Even as a primary school student, Yashaswi won several trophies in chess tournaments for children.
She was chosen for a state-level chess tournament in 2016-17 and represented Karnataka in the national level deaf chess championship held in Kerala where she won the first prize.
She also got the first place in the state level deaf chess championship held at Mysuru in November 2017 and national level deaf chess championship held at Madhya Pradesh in December 2017.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Get-hooked May 16, 2019 #BeingMom - What makes Nalini Srivastava such a power mom?
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Poll results today, NDA prepares for Term 2
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News