Emerging chess champ Yashaswi makes India proud at international deaf chess tournament!
Yashaswi is the newest star in India's world of para sports. This young girl, who is deaf, won a bronze for India at an international deaf chess tournament held in Manchester, United Kingdom recently.
Yashaswi, who is from Bantwal in Karnataka, has a 1300 rating in chess. Her father is a laboratory assistant at a college in Bantwal, while her mother is a government school teacher. Yashaswi was two years old when her parents found out that she was deaf like her elder sister. This was not an issue for her family, who encouraged her in every way.
She was very interested in chess right from childhood. The support of her parents encouraged her to take the game seriously. Even as a primary school student, Yashaswi won several trophies in chess tournaments for children.
She was chosen for a state-level chess tournament in 2016-17 and represented Karnataka in the national level deaf chess championship held in Kerala where she won the first prize.
She also got the first place in the state level deaf chess championship held at Mysuru in November 2017 and national level deaf chess championship held at Madhya Pradesh in December 2017.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Bengaluru NGOs show a large heart with donations for disabled, homeless people
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Dhoni set to add another milestone
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News