The right attitude keeps Vigneswara way ahead of his disability
As he negotiates his way around the busy roads of Nagercoil, R Vigneswara Subbaiah passes off like any other biker, who is trying to beat the traffic.
See him at the Arignar Anna Stadium, and you meet a different man. Wearing a running blade in place of his right leg, Vigneswara is training for an upcoming run.
Vigneswara was amputated after an accident in 2013. His ankle was crushed and his shin bone broken in three places. Doctors amputated his leg as it was too damaged to be fixed. It changed his life. His marriage was called off and he went through hard times.
Encouraged by friends on Facebook, he took up long-distance running. He looked for people with one leg for tips on how they went about their daily activities and learned a lot.
Some friends on Facebook persuaded him to take part in a marathon in Hyderabad in 2014. Initially, he practised with a wooden leg and cleared 5 km. His performance attracted attention and he was offered a running blade for free. Vigneswara is now a regular at marathons.
Initially, he took part in races for disabled people. Now he goes for regular marathons as he does not want to deny disabled people of opportunities.
Vigneswara, who runs a mobile phone shop, met his wife Sridevi at a wedding and approached her parents. They now have two children.
Watch in Sign Language
- Mumbai to host first national throwball & swimming camp this week
October 23, 2018
- India whitewash Sri Lanka, win T20 series 5-0
October 23, 2018
- India take on Sri Lanka in 5th & final match of T20 blind cricket series today
October 22, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Chaarana Centre for Special Needs is a haven for disabled children in Bengaluru
- Technology October 23, 2018 What visually impaired people should look for while buying a phone
- Get-hooked October 23, 2018 Check out these fun indoor games for children with autism
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Uttar Pradesh politician's wife arrested on suspicion of killing son
- Parasports October 22, 2018 Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Kerala nun rape case - Key witness found dead, foul play alleged
- Events October 17, 2018 NAB Presents Interactive Meeting with a Global Leader in Accessibility
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Education October 18, 2018 Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News