The right attitude keeps Vigneswara way ahead of his disability
July 23, 2018
As he negotiates his way around the busy roads of Nagercoil, R Vigneswara Subbaiah passes off like any other biker, who is trying to beat the traffic.
See him at the Arignar Anna Stadium, and you meet a different man. Wearing a running blade in place of his right leg, Vigneswara is training for an upcoming run.
Vigneswara was amputated after an accident in 2013. His ankle was crushed and his shin bone broken in three places. Doctors amputated his leg as it was too damaged to be fixed. It changed his life. His marriage was called off and he went through hard times.
Encouraged by friends on Facebook, he took up long-distance running. He looked for people with one leg for tips on how they went about their daily activities and learned a lot.
Some friends on Facebook persuaded him to take part in a marathon in Hyderabad in 2014. Initially, he practised with a wooden leg and cleared 5 km. His performance attracted attention and he was offered a running blade for free. Vigneswara is now a regular at marathons.
Initially, he took part in races for disabled people. Now he goes for regular marathons as he does not want to deny disabled people of opportunities.
Vigneswara, who runs a mobile phone shop, met his wife Sridevi at a wedding and approached her parents. They now have two children.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Narendra Modi conferred with UAE’s highest civilian honour
- Technology August 25, 2019 18-year-old with autism wins fans across the world with his app Aumi
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kochi rally together under the banner Kochi Wheelchair Koottayma
- Parasports August 26, 2019 National selection camp for wheelchair basketball underway in Chennai
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News