The right attitude keeps Vigneswara way ahead of his disability
July 23, 2018
As he negotiates his way around the busy roads of Nagercoil, R Vigneswara Subbaiah passes off like any other biker, who is trying to beat the traffic.
See him at the Arignar Anna Stadium, and you meet a different man. Wearing a running blade in place of his right leg, Vigneswara is training for an upcoming run.
Vigneswara was amputated after an accident in 2013. His ankle was crushed and his shin bone broken in three places. Doctors amputated his leg as it was too damaged to be fixed. It changed his life. His marriage was called off and he went through hard times.
Encouraged by friends on Facebook, he took up long-distance running. He looked for people with one leg for tips on how they went about their daily activities and learned a lot.
Some friends on Facebook persuaded him to take part in a marathon in Hyderabad in 2014. Initially, he practised with a wooden leg and cleared 5 km. His performance attracted attention and he was offered a running blade for free. Vigneswara is now a regular at marathons.
Initially, he took part in races for disabled people. Now he goes for regular marathons as he does not want to deny disabled people of opportunities.
Vigneswara, who runs a mobile phone shop, met his wife Sridevi at a wedding and approached her parents. They now have two children.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 Game changing innovations that enable inclusion - Global Accessibility Awareness Day special
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News