The right attitude keeps Vigneswara way ahead of his disability
July 23, 2018
As he negotiates his way around the busy roads of Nagercoil, R Vigneswara Subbaiah passes off like any other biker, who is trying to beat the traffic.
See him at the Arignar Anna Stadium, and you meet a different man. Wearing a running blade in place of his right leg, Vigneswara is training for an upcoming run.
Vigneswara was amputated after an accident in 2013. His ankle was crushed and his shin bone broken in three places. Doctors amputated his leg as it was too damaged to be fixed. It changed his life. His marriage was called off and he went through hard times.
Encouraged by friends on Facebook, he took up long-distance running. He looked for people with one leg for tips on how they went about their daily activities and learned a lot.
Some friends on Facebook persuaded him to take part in a marathon in Hyderabad in 2014. Initially, he practised with a wooden leg and cleared 5 km. His performance attracted attention and he was offered a running blade for free. Vigneswara is now a regular at marathons.
Initially, he took part in races for disabled people. Now he goes for regular marathons as he does not want to deny disabled people of opportunities.
Vigneswara, who runs a mobile phone shop, met his wife Sridevi at a wedding and approached her parents. They now have two children.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Headlines March 15, 2019 21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Headlines March 20, 2019 PM Modi’s biopic to release on 5 April
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News