The right attitude keeps Vigneswara way ahead of his disability
As he negotiates his way around the busy roads of Nagercoil, R Vigneswara Subbaiah passes off like any other biker, who is trying to beat the traffic.
See him at the Arignar Anna Stadium, and you meet a different man. Wearing a running blade in place of his right leg, Vigneswara is training for an upcoming run.
Vigneswara was amputated after an accident in 2013. His ankle was crushed and his shin bone broken in three places. Doctors amputated his leg as it was too damaged to be fixed. It changed his life. His marriage was called off and he went through hard times.
Encouraged by friends on Facebook, he took up long-distance running. He looked for people with one leg for tips on how they went about their daily activities and learned a lot.
Some friends on Facebook persuaded him to take part in a marathon in Hyderabad in 2014. Initially, he practised with a wooden leg and cleared 5 km. His performance attracted attention and he was offered a running blade for free. Vigneswara is now a regular at marathons.
Initially, he took part in races for disabled people. Now he goes for regular marathons as he does not want to deny disabled people of opportunities.
Vigneswara, who runs a mobile phone shop, met his wife Sridevi at a wedding and approached her parents. They now have two children.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Accessibility January 20, 2019 Get set for #Sabkeliye, India's biggest & boldest accessible shopping initiative ever
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Dhoni set to add another milestone
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News