Deaf model Deshna aims to be role model for her community!
July 24, 2018
Deshna Jain is on a high! The 20-year-old, who recently won the Miss Asia (Deaf) title and was third runner-up in the Miss International (Deaf) contest in Taiwan, is full of plans.
Jain has made history. This is the first time since 2009 that an Indian has won any title in the prestigious Miss and Mister Deaf International pageants. At 20, she is also the youngest contestant.
However, her achievement has not got the attention winners of mainstream beauty contests from India have received. That does not bother Jain, who wants to take part in more events like this. Her aim is to make India and her family proud.
Deshna's family is from Tikamgarh in Madhya Pradesh. They are now in Delhi to spread the news about her title.
Not a single sponsor came forward to support her financially for the international pageant. All the expenses were paid for by the family, which has a business. Even meeting the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Chouhan twice did not help.
Deshna does not want to indulge in self-pity. After finishing her studies from the Deaf Bilingual Academy in Indore, she wants to be a role-model for people in her community.
She wants to become a dancer, a dream she still nurtures. She has a sibling who is also deaf.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Headlines March 25, 2019 111 farmers to contest elections against PM Modi
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Accessibility March 25, 2019 PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Headlines March 25, 2019 Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News