Deaf model Deshna aims to be role model for her community!
July 24, 2018
Deshna Jain is on a high! The 20-year-old, who recently won the Miss Asia (Deaf) title and was third runner-up in the Miss International (Deaf) contest in Taiwan, is full of plans.
Jain has made history. This is the first time since 2009 that an Indian has won any title in the prestigious Miss and Mister Deaf International pageants. At 20, she is also the youngest contestant.
However, her achievement has not got the attention winners of mainstream beauty contests from India have received. That does not bother Jain, who wants to take part in more events like this. Her aim is to make India and her family proud.
Deshna's family is from Tikamgarh in Madhya Pradesh. They are now in Delhi to spread the news about her title.
Not a single sponsor came forward to support her financially for the international pageant. All the expenses were paid for by the family, which has a business. Even meeting the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Chouhan twice did not help.
Deshna does not want to indulge in self-pity. After finishing her studies from the Deaf Bilingual Academy in Indore, she wants to be a role-model for people in her community.
She wants to become a dancer, a dream she still nurtures. She has a sibling who is also deaf.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News