Deaf model Deshna aims to be role model for her community!
Deshna Jain is on a high! The 20-year-old, who recently won the Miss Asia (Deaf) title and was third runner-up in the Miss International (Deaf) contest in Taiwan, is full of plans.
Jain has made history. This is the first time since 2009 that an Indian has won any title in the prestigious Miss and Mister Deaf International pageants. At 20, she is also the youngest contestant.
However, her achievement has not got the attention winners of mainstream beauty contests from India have received. That does not bother Jain, who wants to take part in more events like this. Her aim is to make India and her family proud.
Deshna's family is from Tikamgarh in Madhya Pradesh. They are now in Delhi to spread the news about her title.
Not a single sponsor came forward to support her financially for the international pageant. All the expenses were paid for by the family, which has a business. Even meeting the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Chouhan twice did not help.
Deshna does not want to indulge in self-pity. After finishing her studies from the Deaf Bilingual Academy in Indore, she wants to be a role-model for people in her community.
She wants to become a dancer, a dream she still nurtures. She has a sibling who is also deaf.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 18, 2019 Inclusive Zumba
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Sports are ideal for children with autism. Here is how.
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Tight security for women who entered Sabarimala
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Jisha’s journey with art is a story of determination, passion
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News