Deaf model Deshna aims to be role model for her community!
July 24, 2018
Deshna Jain is on a high! The 20-year-old, who recently won the Miss Asia (Deaf) title and was third runner-up in the Miss International (Deaf) contest in Taiwan, is full of plans.
Jain has made history. This is the first time since 2009 that an Indian has won any title in the prestigious Miss and Mister Deaf International pageants. At 20, she is also the youngest contestant.
However, her achievement has not got the attention winners of mainstream beauty contests from India have received. That does not bother Jain, who wants to take part in more events like this. Her aim is to make India and her family proud.
Deshna's family is from Tikamgarh in Madhya Pradesh. They are now in Delhi to spread the news about her title.
Not a single sponsor came forward to support her financially for the international pageant. All the expenses were paid for by the family, which has a business. Even meeting the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Chouhan twice did not help.
Deshna does not want to indulge in self-pity. After finishing her studies from the Deaf Bilingual Academy in Indore, she wants to be a role-model for people in her community.
She wants to become a dancer, a dream she still nurtures. She has a sibling who is also deaf.
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Education July 18, 2019 Mumbai's Wilson College shows the path to inclusion with new faculty member Payal Bhattad
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News