A small tweak to Amazon Alexa makes it accessible to deaf people
Now Amazon Alexa can respond to sign language! This is thanks to developer Abhishek Singh, who has created an app that allows Alexa to do this.
Singh's project uses a camera-based system to identify gestures and interpret them as text and speech.
Voice assistants run by Amazon, Google and Apple have seen a rise in popularity over the last few years. But for the deaf and hard of hearing community, this is a future they are left out of.
Speech recognition is rarely able to pick up the rhythms of deaf users. Lack of hearing poses a challenge to communicating with voice-based assistants.
Singh's project involves rigging Amazon's Alexa to respond in text to American Sign Language (ASL). He trained an AI using the machine-learning platform Tensorflow, which involved repeatedly gesturing in front of a webcam to teach the system the basics of sign language.
Once the system was able to respond to his hand movements, he connected it to Google's text-to-speech software to read the corresponding words aloud.
The Amazon Echo's vocal response is automatically transcribed by the computer into text, which is read by the user.
Singh says this shows that such a functionality can be built into any voice assistant.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Saudi Arabia Crown in India to strengthen ties
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News