A small tweak to Amazon Alexa makes it accessible to deaf people
July 25, 2018
Now Amazon Alexa can respond to sign language! This is thanks to developer Abhishek Singh, who has created an app that allows Alexa to do this.
Singh's project uses a camera-based system to identify gestures and interpret them as text and speech.
Voice assistants run by Amazon, Google and Apple have seen a rise in popularity over the last few years. But for the deaf and hard of hearing community, this is a future they are left out of.
Speech recognition is rarely able to pick up the rhythms of deaf users. Lack of hearing poses a challenge to communicating with voice-based assistants.
Singh's project involves rigging Amazon's Alexa to respond in text to American Sign Language (ASL). He trained an AI using the machine-learning platform Tensorflow, which involved repeatedly gesturing in front of a webcam to teach the system the basics of sign language.
Once the system was able to respond to his hand movements, he connected it to Google's text-to-speech software to read the corresponding words aloud.
The Amazon Echo's vocal response is automatically transcribed by the computer into text, which is read by the user.
Singh says this shows that such a functionality can be built into any voice assistant.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Australia
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Archana Palahalli believes in facing odds with a smile
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News