A small tweak to Amazon Alexa makes it accessible to deaf people
Now Amazon Alexa can respond to sign language! This is thanks to developer Abhishek Singh, who has created an app that allows Alexa to do this.
Singh's project uses a camera-based system to identify gestures and interpret them as text and speech.
Voice assistants run by Amazon, Google and Apple have seen a rise in popularity over the last few years. But for the deaf and hard of hearing community, this is a future they are left out of.
Speech recognition is rarely able to pick up the rhythms of deaf users. Lack of hearing poses a challenge to communicating with voice-based assistants.
Singh's project involves rigging Amazon's Alexa to respond in text to American Sign Language (ASL). He trained an AI using the machine-learning platform Tensorflow, which involved repeatedly gesturing in front of a webcam to teach the system the basics of sign language.
Once the system was able to respond to his hand movements, he connected it to Google's text-to-speech software to read the corresponding words aloud.
The Amazon Echo's vocal response is automatically transcribed by the computer into text, which is read by the user.
Singh says this shows that such a functionality can be built into any voice assistant.
Watch in Sign Language
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
- Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Section 144 extended in Sabarimala till 8 December
- Headlines December 4, 2018 Congress backs Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh over Sidhu
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Chennai's iconic Marina Beach turns accessible for two days
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Smileys India bats for inclusion through art
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
- Accessibility December 5, 2018 PVR's Accessible Cinema Program shows the way forward in inclusion
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 VaccesS 2018 an exhibition about innovative & latest assistive devices
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility December 4, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News