One in 8 kids in India has a neuro-developmental disorder
July 26, 2018
The case for early paediatric intervention when it comes to neuro-developmental disorders becomes stronger. India's first community-based survey shows that census estimates of such disorders is very far off the mark.
The study, done by researchers from across 50 institutes in India, says that one in eight children between the ages of two to nine years may have at least one neuro-developmental disorder, such as hearing-impairment, autism, cerebral palsy, ADHD and learning disability.
A large number of these disorders were caused by poor birth practices and infections in early childhood. They had received little or no treatment.
The 2011 census says the prevalence of the disabilities is only up to 1.1% among children between 0-4 years of age, and up to 1.5% in those of age 5-9 years. The community survey, on the other hand, shows that the numbers are as high as 19%!
Over 3,500 children living at five areas - Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Odisha, North Goa and Hyderabad were surveyed by the team. As many as 475 of them were found to have one or more of these disorders.
The common disorders found were hearing impairment, speech and language disorders, autism spectrum disorders, intellectual disability, vision impairment, epilepsy and cerebral palsy and other neuro-motor impairment. In addition, learning disability and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) were also found.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Events June 26, 2019 Coaching Classes for Visually Impaired Students
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News