Deaf chess champ Suman Prabhu asks why government is indifferent to disabled sportspersons
From a small village in Rajasthan's Nagaur district to the world stage, Suman Prabhu's journey is truly inspiring. This deaf chess player has come back with a silver medal in the recently held Deaf Chess Championships in Manchester, United Kingdom.
Suman has made India proud and raised the bar for people with disabilities in the country. Yet, she says she has to struggle for even basic recognition from the government. Suman says the government does not support the deaf international players as much as the others.
Her village lacks basic facilities, yet Suman has won four medals for India in chess. Her family is unhappy with the government as it has shown no interest in her achievements on the world stage. Deaf players are not given the same privileges despite winning equal medals for the country.
Suman is yet to receive financial help or a job. Her family alleges that the state government openly discriminates against deaf players and that this has to change.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019