Deaf chess champ Suman Prabhu asks why government is indifferent to disabled sportspersons
July 26, 2018
From a small village in Rajasthan's Nagaur district to the world stage, Suman Prabhu's journey is truly inspiring. This deaf chess player has come back with a silver medal in the recently held Deaf Chess Championships in Manchester, United Kingdom.
Suman has made India proud and raised the bar for people with disabilities in the country. Yet, she says she has to struggle for even basic recognition from the government. Suman says the government does not support the deaf international players as much as the others.
Her village lacks basic facilities, yet Suman has won four medals for India in chess. Her family is unhappy with the government as it has shown no interest in her achievements on the world stage. Deaf players are not given the same privileges despite winning equal medals for the country.
Suman is yet to receive financial help or a job. Her family alleges that the state government openly discriminates against deaf players and that this has to change.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News