Self-learning braille literacy device launched in Ranchi school
The blind students of Rajyakrit Netrahin Madhya Vidyalaya in Harmu in Ranchi will now be using the first braille self-learning literacy device in the country.
The device called Annie, have been developed by Bangalore based start-up Thinkerbell Labs. The device is the answer to the problem of shortage of braille teachers in India.
On Tuesday, 20 Annie devices were launched officially as a pilot project in the Ranchi school. Dr Louis Marandi, minister of minority and social welfare and women and child development was present at the launch event.
Annie is a device that enables self-learning and classroom teaching of Braille. The device runs on Raspberry Pi and consists of multiple hardware components such as a refreshable braille display, a digital braille slate, and a braille keyboard - all in one device.
The hardware helps the blind students to learn how to read, write, and type and they can practice themselves without much assistance.
Annie is designed to provide instructions in both Hindi and English and also voice commands in Hindi.
Since there is shortage of special teachers for the education of blind students in India, Annie is a game changer. Students can do their studies without the cosnatnt assistance of a teacher.
Watch in Sign Language
- Gujarat government launches important initiative towards early screening of learning disabilities
February 7, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College's certificate course in disability studies finds widespread support
February 5, 2019
- No clarity on final guidelines for medical entrance test, disabled aspirants still in the dark
January 30, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019