Self-learning braille literacy device launched in Ranchi school
July 26, 2018
The blind students of Rajyakrit Netrahin Madhya Vidyalaya in Harmu in Ranchi will now be using the first braille self-learning literacy device in the country.
The device called Annie, have been developed by Bangalore based start-up Thinkerbell Labs. The device is the answer to the problem of shortage of braille teachers in India.
On Tuesday, 20 Annie devices were launched officially as a pilot project in the Ranchi school. Dr Louis Marandi, minister of minority and social welfare and women and child development was present at the launch event.
Annie is a device that enables self-learning and classroom teaching of Braille. The device runs on Raspberry Pi and consists of multiple hardware components such as a refreshable braille display, a digital braille slate, and a braille keyboard - all in one device.
The hardware helps the blind students to learn how to read, write, and type and they can practice themselves without much assistance.
Annie is designed to provide instructions in both Hindi and English and also voice commands in Hindi.
Since there is shortage of special teachers for the education of blind students in India, Annie is a game changer. Students can do their studies without the cosnatnt assistance of a teacher.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News