Self-learning braille literacy device launched in Ranchi school
July 26, 2018
The blind students of Rajyakrit Netrahin Madhya Vidyalaya in Harmu in Ranchi will now be using the first braille self-learning literacy device in the country.
The device called Annie, have been developed by Bangalore based start-up Thinkerbell Labs. The device is the answer to the problem of shortage of braille teachers in India.
On Tuesday, 20 Annie devices were launched officially as a pilot project in the Ranchi school. Dr Louis Marandi, minister of minority and social welfare and women and child development was present at the launch event.
Annie is a device that enables self-learning and classroom teaching of Braille. The device runs on Raspberry Pi and consists of multiple hardware components such as a refreshable braille display, a digital braille slate, and a braille keyboard - all in one device.
The hardware helps the blind students to learn how to read, write, and type and they can practice themselves without much assistance.
Annie is designed to provide instructions in both Hindi and English and also voice commands in Hindi.
Since there is shortage of special teachers for the education of blind students in India, Annie is a game changer. Students can do their studies without the cosnatnt assistance of a teacher.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
June 16, 2019
- #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
June 13, 2019
- Kidsville Educational Academy offers a shoulder to children with disabilities, & families too
June 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Film by Diversity Dialogues hopes to trigger mindful conversations about workplace mental health
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News