Puducherry man with cerebral palsy sets record swimming in the sea
July 27, 2018
Fo 25-year-old Sriram Srinivas it was his family's strong support that kept his dream of setting a record alive. And set a record eh has, of swimming five kilometres in the sea.
Born with cerebral palsy, Srinivas has set many records in swimming at the national level. He also excels in other sports and gives credit to his mother for backing him.
His most recent record is swimming in the sea from Cuddalore Old Town to Silver Beach in three hours and 20 minutes during the NCC Ocean Expedition. The NCC also honoured him with an Achiever Award.
Srinivas was accompanied by his swimming coach and his efforts to swim in the hot and humid weather were praised by all.
Born with cerebral palsy, Srinivas started doing physiotherapy when he was eight years old. He also did yoga, swimming and cycling. Seeing his interest in swimming, his parents engaged two coaches to train him. Soon he started competing in state and national level events and was successful.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment July 19, 2019 Hatti Kaapi's coffee cups bring cheer for many reasons
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
- Education July 20, 2019 Updated MBBS curriculum with disability competencies to come into effect from 1 August, confirms MCI
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Education July 18, 2019 Mumbai's Wilson College shows the path to inclusion with new faculty member Payal Bhattad
- Events July 14, 2019 Masti Time: Come share your stories
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News