Puducherry man with cerebral palsy sets record swimming in the sea
Fo 25-year-old Sriram Srinivas it was his family's strong support that kept his dream of setting a record alive. And set a record eh has, of swimming five kilometres in the sea.
Born with cerebral palsy, Srinivas has set many records in swimming at the national level. He also excels in other sports and gives credit to his mother for backing him.
His most recent record is swimming in the sea from Cuddalore Old Town to Silver Beach in three hours and 20 minutes during the NCC Ocean Expedition. The NCC also honoured him with an Achiever Award.
Srinivas was accompanied by his swimming coach and his efforts to swim in the hot and humid weather were praised by all.
Born with cerebral palsy, Srinivas started doing physiotherapy when he was eight years old. He also did yoga, swimming and cycling. Seeing his interest in swimming, his parents engaged two coaches to train him. Soon he started competing in state and national level events and was successful.
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
- Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
February 13, 2019
- Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
February 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 9, 2019 The Learning Factory, a Musical Puppet Play
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Employment February 10, 2019 Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News