Disabled painter Anjan Satish's brush strokes have left the art world wonderstruck!
July 30, 2018
30-year-old Anjan Satish is deaf and has cerebral palsy, but he chooses not to be defined by his disability. Instead he lets his paintings speak for him.
Satish is a well-known face in the art circle in India. His skills with the brush have won him many honours, including the Cavinkare Ability Award.
Satish's father says he started showing interest in art when he was just five years old. At first, he wanted to play with colours. By the age of six, he started drawing. What is so remarkable is that he did not receive any formal training in doing caricatures or paintings and is a total natural.
Anjan's talent was recognised by the Kerala Cartoon Academy, which made him an honorary member. He was also named the icon of the academy in 2015, which is a first in the academy's history.
Anjan also teaches computers and art at his former school. He has been teaching for eight years.
Anjan has won a national award for Outstanding Creative Adult with Disabilities from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. He has held exhibitions all India, including one at the Kerala High Court, making him the first artist to get such an honour.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News