How to make number lessons easy for children with autism
August 2, 2018
Children with autism can learn numbers and counting easily. The main requirement for effective learning is to be patient and communicative with the kids all the time.
When you start teaching a child that has autism, do not focus on the disorder. They are like other children and need just a little bit of extra care and support.
Basic education and skills such as reading writing and maths can help them become more independent as they grow up.
Here are some ideas that can be used to teach counting to children with autism.
Give examples that can be easily understood when introducing the concept of counting and numbers. Abstract ideas are difficult to follow. You can start by teaching about counting objects, something the child can see and feel.
Use examples from daily life to teach about quantities and numbers such as how many bananas are there on the table?
Give them toys or blocks to do understand and practice the concept of addition and subtraction.
Children with autism can be taught about geometrical shapes by referring to objects around them. Building is rectangle, moon is a circle, examples van make teaching and learning fun and effective.
Give one problem to solve at a time, as too much information on a page can be confusing.
Flash cards and apps can also be used to teach the numbers.
Keep the lessons simple and be very patient.
- Most importantly do not forget to praise and encourage the children for their hard work.
ALSO READ: Tips to help your non-verbal child speak
ALSO READ: Teaching colors to children with autism
Watch in Sign Language
- Updated MBBS curriculum with disability competencies to come into effect from 1 August, confirms MCI
July 20, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College shows the path to inclusion with new faculty member Payal Bhattad
July 18, 2019
- Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Inclusion Walkathon 2019 aims to spread the message of a world without barriers
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 20, 2019 Heavy rain alert in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Odisha
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Australia refuses entry to Kerala Catholic priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Get-hooked July 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Adults with Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News