How to make number lessons easy for children with autism
Children with autism can learn numbers and counting easily. The main requirement for effective learning is to be patient and communicative with the kids all the time.
When you start teaching a child that has autism, do not focus on the disorder. They are like other children and need just a little bit of extra care and support.
Basic education and skills such as reading writing and maths can help them become more independent as they grow up.
Here are some ideas that can be used to teach counting to children with autism.
Give examples that can be easily understood when introducing the concept of counting and numbers. Abstract ideas are difficult to follow. You can start by teaching about counting objects, something the child can see and feel.
Use examples from daily life to teach about quantities and numbers such as how many bananas are there on the table?
Give them toys or blocks to do understand and practice the concept of addition and subtraction.
Children with autism can be taught about geometrical shapes by referring to objects around them. Building is rectangle, moon is a circle, examples van make teaching and learning fun and effective.
Give one problem to solve at a time, as too much information on a page can be confusing.
Flash cards and apps can also be used to teach the numbers.
Keep the lessons simple and be very patient.
- Most importantly do not forget to praise and encourage the children for their hard work.
ALSO READ: Tips to help your non-verbal child speak
ALSO READ: Teaching colors to children with autism
Watch in Sign Language
- Home schooling now an option for children with disabilities in Maharashtra
January 16, 2019
- Some tips for teaching children with Down syndrome
January 11, 2019
- Madhya Pradesh gesture to promote inclusion gets a thumbs up
January 9, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Events January 20, 2019 Behavior Management Workshop
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Events January 18, 2019 Inclusive Zumba
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education January 11, 2019
Headlines January 10, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News