How to make number lessons easy for children with autism
August 2, 2018
Children with autism can learn numbers and counting easily. The main requirement for effective learning is to be patient and communicative with the kids all the time.
When you start teaching a child that has autism, do not focus on the disorder. They are like other children and need just a little bit of extra care and support.
Basic education and skills such as reading writing and maths can help them become more independent as they grow up.
Here are some ideas that can be used to teach counting to children with autism.
Give examples that can be easily understood when introducing the concept of counting and numbers. Abstract ideas are difficult to follow. You can start by teaching about counting objects, something the child can see and feel.
Use examples from daily life to teach about quantities and numbers such as how many bananas are there on the table?
Give them toys or blocks to do understand and practice the concept of addition and subtraction.
Children with autism can be taught about geometrical shapes by referring to objects around them. Building is rectangle, moon is a circle, examples van make teaching and learning fun and effective.
Give one problem to solve at a time, as too much information on a page can be confusing.
Flash cards and apps can also be used to teach the numbers.
Keep the lessons simple and be very patient.
- Most importantly do not forget to praise and encourage the children for their hard work.
ALSO READ: Tips to help your non-verbal child speak
ALSO READ: Teaching colors to children with autism
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 #WonderWoman - Priya Bhargav embodies the warrior spirit in many ways
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Election Commission's voter helpline 1950 proves to be a letdown for disabled community in Chennai
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Learn valuable self-defense techniques at this session for disabled women in Mumbai
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News