The path to accessible elections in India is filled with roadblocks
July 30, 2018
The Election Commission of India (ECI) had assured that upcoming elections in Maharashtra are going to be accessible for people with disabilities and the elderly. Looks like, it is not that easy. Inadequate data of disabled people and lack of awareness about elections are the new roadblocks in making elections accessible!
Even though there are more than 3 lakh eligible disabled voters in the state, only 1.3 lakh have been recorded as disabled voters till date. That is because most of the disabled voters were enrolled as normal voters in the previous elections. This has made things even more complicated for the ECI. Hence, officials are all set to do a door-to-door survey to get the statistics right.
Booth level officers are reaching out to NGO's and other organizations that work with disabled people. Since such an exercise is taking place for the first time, officials are ensuring that everything goes well.
Over the past few months, ECI has been keeping a close watch on how to make elections accessible across India. Authorities discussed issues with disabled people and NGO's to know the prevalent situation. The ECI even issued guidelines to many states that must be followed during election time.
ECI hopes to clear all barriers in another three months so that elections are not made troublesome for disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News