Some dolphin love for people with disabilities does plenty to heal at this American city
August 1, 2018
One knows of dogs and horses being used as therapy for kids with disabilities. Now, a new form of water therapy involving dolphins is showing great success in the city of Scottsdale in the United States. This is one of a few cities in the country where people with disabilities can go for a dolphin-assisted therapy program.
Among the star attractions is Chloe the dolphin, who has been helping 15-year-old Evelyn with Rett Syndrome. This is a neurological disorder that leaves her unable to talk, walk, or use her hands.
Evelyn regularly goes for physical, speech, and occupational therapy. Her parents say they noticed immediate results after her first dolphin-assisted therapy session. She is now more willing to open up and has been able to work through her disability.
Called the Sea STAR Program, this was launched in early 2018. Kids get to do more than just swim with dolphins. There is a 10-day program to meet the specific needs of the child.
The founders say they use the dolphins as motivation and reward for kids, as they complete aqua-therapy goals.
Specialists say just as the kids take to the dolphins, the dolphins also make friends with the kids. The Sea star program is open to both children and adults.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Education April 11, 2019 #AutismPower - Chennai's CanBridge Academy offers work & life skills training for disabled youth
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Events April 11, 2019 Gospel Concert
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News