From Apple, a clothing tech to assist blind people
August 1, 2018
Apple has announced plans that sound truly revolutionary. The company says it will soon launch a new invention that will improve the lives of blind and visually impaired people.
It plans to launch wearable Smart Clothing like a shirt or jacket that's technologically equipped with advanced components and sensors acting as a visual aid.
People who are blind and visually impaired depend on assistive devices like canes, seeing eye companion dogs, or other physical aids to navigate everyday lives. Apple's invention sounds like a highly-advanced wearable that is capable of helping visually impaired people move about freely without the need for a cane or companion dog.
The device can link up to an iPhone or other touch-based input terminal capable of providing the wearer with vital data about their environment. This way a sensory impaired user can move around with the help of a guidance device.
The guidance device could take the form of a jacket or shirt equipped with sensors, including a camera, that are wirelessly connected to an input/output 'touch surface' like an iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch.
Through this connection, the device would provide the visually impaired wearer with assistance that may be better than that of traditional devices.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News