Delhi government delinks disability & elderly pensions from Aadhar cards
This is great news for people with disabilities, widows, and senior citizens in Delhi. They can now avail of government schemes even if they do not have an Aadhar card.
The Delhi government has decided to delink pensions for people in these categories from Aadhar and Aadhar-linked bank accounts!
This will definitely be a blessing to thousands of people who have been denied government schemes, including monthly pensions due to the lack of an Aadhar card. The government’s Social Welfare Department will ensure that beneficiaries will be provided government schemes and pensions without any hassle from here on.
The Delhi High Court was hearing petitions filed by over 22 women from economically backward families. They were deprived of schemes and benefits due to lack of an Aadhar card.
It was in 2016 that the Delhi government decided to ask for an Aadhar card to avail pensions. As a result, more than 33,000 senior citizens and nearly 10,000 disabled people were denied pensions since they could not procure an Aadhar card. But from now, they only need to provide an identification card.
The Delhi High Court has also told the Aam Aadmi party to not withhold benefits of pregnant women and nursing mothers in case they do not have an Aadhar card. The government will have to ensure that they are provided awareness about various schemes that are of use to them.
ALSO READ: Disability Pension Scheme - Delhi NCR
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News