Delhi government delinks disability & elderly pensions from Aadhar cards
August 2, 2018
This is great news for people with disabilities, widows, and senior citizens in Delhi. They can now avail of government schemes even if they do not have an Aadhar card.
The Delhi government has decided to delink pensions for people in these categories from Aadhar and Aadhar-linked bank accounts!
This will definitely be a blessing to thousands of people who have been denied government schemes, including monthly pensions due to the lack of an Aadhar card. The government's Social Welfare Department will ensure that beneficiaries will be provided government schemes and pensions without any hassle from here on.
The Delhi High Court was hearing petitions filed by over 22 women from economically backward families. They were deprived of schemes and benefits due to lack of an Aadhar card.
It was in 2016 that the Delhi government decided to ask for an Aadhar card to avail pensions. As a result, more than 33,000 senior citizens and nearly 10,000 disabled people were denied pensions since they could not procure an Aadhar card. But from now, they only need to provide an identification card.
The Delhi High Court has also told the Aam Aadmi party to not withhold benefits of pregnant women and nursing mothers in case they do not have an Aadhar card. The government will have to ensure that they are provided awareness about various schemes that are of use to them.
ALSO READ: Disability Pension Scheme - Delhi NCR
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News