Delhi government delinks disability & elderly pensions from Aadhar cards
August 2, 2018
This is great news for people with disabilities, widows, and senior citizens in Delhi. They can now avail of government schemes even if they do not have an Aadhar card.
The Delhi government has decided to delink pensions for people in these categories from Aadhar and Aadhar-linked bank accounts!
This will definitely be a blessing to thousands of people who have been denied government schemes, including monthly pensions due to the lack of an Aadhar card. The government's Social Welfare Department will ensure that beneficiaries will be provided government schemes and pensions without any hassle from here on.
The Delhi High Court was hearing petitions filed by over 22 women from economically backward families. They were deprived of schemes and benefits due to lack of an Aadhar card.
It was in 2016 that the Delhi government decided to ask for an Aadhar card to avail pensions. As a result, more than 33,000 senior citizens and nearly 10,000 disabled people were denied pensions since they could not procure an Aadhar card. But from now, they only need to provide an identification card.
The Delhi High Court has also told the Aam Aadmi party to not withhold benefits of pregnant women and nursing mothers in case they do not have an Aadhar card. The government will have to ensure that they are provided awareness about various schemes that are of use to them.
ALSO READ: Disability Pension Scheme - Delhi NCR
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News