District central libraries in Tamil Nadu to have accessible sections for blind readers
The Tamil Nadu government has plans to make all district central libraries in the state accessible for visually impaired people.
The government is hoping to follow the example set by the District Central Library in Tiruchi.
The District Central Library in Tiruchi in Tamil Nadu state has a huge collection of audiobooks for visually impaired visitors.
The library is a member of the book-share organisation and with the help of volunteers, has created a bank of 3,500 audio books.
The books are used by a number of regular blind visitors of the library.
The library has made a special section for blind visitors, so that they can access the audio books and improve their lives through knowledge and information.
Tiruchi library wants to go a step further and make more facilities available for the blind people with the help of volunteers.
Blind people will be trained to use computers and other devices to access to talking books and audio books.
In 2017, the library had conducted a training programme on ‘Access and Use of Digital Talking Book for Visually Impaired’ with the aid of Rotary Club of Tiruchi Elite.
Watch in Sign Language
- 'Meet' the man who is bringing Hindi & Urdu poetry alive for visually impaired people
October 23, 2018
- Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
October 22, 2018
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Accessibility October 23, 2018 'Meet' the man who is bringing Hindi & Urdu poetry alive for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 Cycling for children with autism, some information
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Events October 22, 2018 Sixth National Conference on Inclusive Education
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Amritsar train tragedy - Organisers go missing, police yet to identify accused
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Sneakers designed by Virat Kohli launched in India
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after protests in Sabarimala
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News