District central libraries in Tamil Nadu to have accessible sections for blind readers
August 2, 2018
The Tamil Nadu government has plans to make all district central libraries in the state accessible for visually impaired people.
The government is hoping to follow the example set by the District Central Library in Tiruchi.
The District Central Library in Tiruchi in Tamil Nadu state has a huge collection of audiobooks for visually impaired visitors.
The library is a member of the book-share organisation and with the help of volunteers, has created a bank of 3,500 audio books.
The books are used by a number of regular blind visitors of the library.
The library has made a special section for blind visitors, so that they can access the audio books and improve their lives through knowledge and information.
Tiruchi library wants to go a step further and make more facilities available for the blind people with the help of volunteers.
Blind people will be trained to use computers and other devices to access to talking books and audio books.
In 2017, the library had conducted a training programme on 'Access and Use of Digital Talking Book for Visually Impaired' with the aid of Rotary Club of Tiruchi Elite.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News