District central libraries in Tamil Nadu to have accessible sections for blind readers
The Tamil Nadu government has plans to make all district central libraries in the state accessible for visually impaired people.
The government is hoping to follow the example set by the District Central Library in Tiruchi.
The District Central Library in Tiruchi in Tamil Nadu state has a huge collection of audiobooks for visually impaired visitors.
The library is a member of the book-share organisation and with the help of volunteers, has created a bank of 3,500 audio books.
The books are used by a number of regular blind visitors of the library.
The library has made a special section for blind visitors, so that they can access the audio books and improve their lives through knowledge and information.
Tiruchi library wants to go a step further and make more facilities available for the blind people with the help of volunteers.
Blind people will be trained to use computers and other devices to access to talking books and audio books.
In 2017, the library had conducted a training programme on ‘Access and Use of Digital Talking Book for Visually Impaired’ with the aid of Rotary Club of Tiruchi Elite.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019