Para-athlete Siddanna aims to clear roadblocks to enter Asian Para Games!
Siddanna Sahukar is a para-badminton player who has showcased his skills in national and international games. Even though the entire country cheers for him, sports bodies are turning a blind eye towards his badminton skills. Siddanna was not called for the selection process for the upcoming Asian Para Games 2018. Upset over this, Siddanna has moved to the Karnataka High Court (HC) that will now decide the fate of this para-badminton player!
The Karnataka HC has summoned the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI), Badminton Association of India (BAI) and Sports Authority of India (SAI) to appear before the court on 8 August to give a detailed explanation on why Siddanna was not called for the selection process. Since these are the bodies that decide on the selection of para-athletes, they must be able to answer why Siddanna was denied an opportunity.
According to Siddanna, none of the sports bodies informed him about the selection process that already got over. He had sent mails and enquired about it, but authorities remained mum. Later when he confronted, authorities said that the selection process has now changed!
An official from BAI said that Siddanna was not informed because his performance has taken a backseat over the past few months. Since the selection committee aimed to include the best players, Siddanna was not called.
Karnataka HC empathised with Siddanna and said that his case is deeply moving for a para-athlete. They are waiting to hear what the sports bodies have to tell now.
Siddanna is ranked as the fifth best player on a national level and 45th best player on an international level. This young para-badminton player is all set to beat odds to participate in the Asian Games and make his country proud on an international platform.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019