Enabling children with developmental disorders to 'step' into the world
India has very few schools for children with autism. The scene has slightly changed over the past few years with experts coming forward to kickstart new schools. One such institution is Steps Group, that aims to empower children with developmental and mental disabilities.
They have two wings, Steps Rehabilitation Center and Steps Center for Challenged that were launched in April 2009.
Founded by Karthik Rajaram, Steps has so far spread its wings internationally as well as in India. In India, they are located in Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu, Pollachi and Palakkad in Kerala, and Hyderabad.
Their international ventures are at Malaysia, Philippines, Maldives and Sharjah. Their residential school in Pollachi has trained hundreds of students with developmental disorders.
We can ensure that children are provided with complete rehabilitation at our institutes. Paediatrics and psychiatry are important sections that we constantly work in. We do not want to leave any stone unturned to make sure that our children gets the best - Karthik Rajaram, Founder, Steps Groups.
Steps provide occupational therapy, as well as therapies in behaviour, speech, play and relaxation, to name a few. They claim to have the best trainers and skilled teachers on their faculties.
Rajaram says quality in education is the prime agenda of Steps Group.
Children with different types of disabilities are studying in our institutes. We encourage them through plays and developmental activities. We also introduce our students to various subjects, just like how it is in any other school. India has very few rehabilitation centres for children with developmental disorders. We aim to be change makers - Karthik Rajaram, Founder, Steps Groups.
Steps Group is open to babies as well as people who are above the age of 60 years. It charges Rs 5,000 per month from each student, in return promising the best of love, care and support.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
January 22, 2019
- Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
- Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
January 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports January 22, 2019 “My blade are my wings to fly”- My Take by Sajesh Krishnan, Kerala’s first blade runner
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
- Events January 16, 2019 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
- Headlines January 22, 2019 'Uri: The Surgical Strike' becomes the 1st hit of 2019
- Headlines January 17, 2019 India's D Gukesh is world’s 2nd youngest chess grandmaster
- Accessibility January 20, 2019 Get set for #Sabkeliye, India's biggest & boldest accessible shopping initiative ever
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 18, 2019
Get-hooked January 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News