Enabling children with developmental disorders to 'step' into the world
August 7, 2018
India has very few schools for children with autism. The scene has slightly changed over the past few years with experts coming forward to kickstart new schools. One such institution is Steps Group, that aims to empower children with developmental and mental disabilities.
They have two wings, Steps Rehabilitation Center and Steps Center for Challenged that were launched in April 2009.
Founded by Karthik Rajaram, Steps has so far spread its wings internationally as well as in India. In India, they are located in Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu, Pollachi and Palakkad in Kerala, and Hyderabad.
Their international ventures are at Malaysia, Philippines, Maldives and Sharjah. Their residential school in Pollachi has trained hundreds of students with developmental disorders.
We can ensure that children are provided with complete rehabilitation at our institutes. Paediatrics and psychiatry are important sections that we constantly work in. We do not want to leave any stone unturned to make sure that our children gets the best - Karthik Rajaram, Founder, Steps Groups.
Steps provide occupational therapy, as well as therapies in behaviour, speech, play and relaxation, to name a few. They claim to have the best trainers and skilled teachers on their faculties.
Rajaram says quality in education is the prime agenda of Steps Group.
Children with different types of disabilities are studying in our institutes. We encourage them through plays and developmental activities. We also introduce our students to various subjects, just like how it is in any other school. India has very few rehabilitation centres for children with developmental disorders. We aim to be change makers - Karthik Rajaram, Founder, Steps Groups.
Steps Group is open to babies as well as people who are above the age of 60 years. It charges Rs 5,000 per month from each student, in return promising the best of love, care and support.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Headlines May 27, 2019 PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Video of candidate crying over 5 votes goes viral
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News