Enabling children with developmental disorders to 'step' into the world
August 7, 2018
India has very few schools for children with autism. The scene has slightly changed over the past few years with experts coming forward to kickstart new schools. One such institution is Steps Group, that aims to empower children with developmental and mental disabilities.
They have two wings, Steps Rehabilitation Center and Steps Center for Challenged that were launched in April 2009.
Founded by Karthik Rajaram, Steps has so far spread its wings internationally as well as in India. In India, they are located in Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu, Pollachi and Palakkad in Kerala, and Hyderabad.
Their international ventures are at Malaysia, Philippines, Maldives and Sharjah. Their residential school in Pollachi has trained hundreds of students with developmental disorders.
We can ensure that children are provided with complete rehabilitation at our institutes. Paediatrics and psychiatry are important sections that we constantly work in. We do not want to leave any stone unturned to make sure that our children gets the best - Karthik Rajaram, Founder, Steps Groups.
Steps provide occupational therapy, as well as therapies in behaviour, speech, play and relaxation, to name a few. They claim to have the best trainers and skilled teachers on their faculties.
Rajaram says quality in education is the prime agenda of Steps Group.
Children with different types of disabilities are studying in our institutes. We encourage them through plays and developmental activities. We also introduce our students to various subjects, just like how it is in any other school. India has very few rehabilitation centres for children with developmental disorders. We aim to be change makers - Karthik Rajaram, Founder, Steps Groups.
Steps Group is open to babies as well as people who are above the age of 60 years. It charges Rs 5,000 per month from each student, in return promising the best of love, care and support.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Autism and Head banging
August 18, 2019
- Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
August 18, 2019
- Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
August 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Get-Hooked August 11, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 3 – Aug 8
- Headlines August 12, 2019 Curfew in Srinagar, people told to stay home
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Expect little international support on J&K, says Pakistan foreign minister
- Education August 12, 2019 Special Educators Forum-India demands separate national education policy for children with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News