Popular cereal brand Kellogg to have Braille snack notes for visually impaired kids
August 9, 2018
American multinational food manufacturing company, Kellogg, is adding a special feature on its Rice Krispies Treats to make it more accessible for people who are vision-impaired. This is being done across the United States.
Rice Krispies Treats had earlier launched writable wrappers that allowed families to send a encouraging messages to their kids in school.
Now, it is going a step further. In partnership with the National Federation of the Blind in the United States, Kellogg will launch Love Note Braille stickers and recordable audio boxes for its Rice Krispies Treats. This way blind and low vision children can also get messages from their families.
This is after the company realised that not every child was getting to experience the written notes on the writable wrappers. This way the notes will become more accessible.
The Love Notes in Braille are shaped like hearts and each sticker sheet has eight positive phrases that parents can share with children.
For those who don't read braille, the recordable audio box plays a 10-second pre-recorded message that can be recorded over 1,000 times.
By doing this, Kellogg is also honouring Will Keith Kellogg, the founder of the company. He lost his eye sight in the last 10 years of his life.
Another major company, Starbucks, moving toward increased accessibility in the United States as well. Last month, the coffee chain said it would create its first Signing Store at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., to help deaf and hard-of-hearing customers.
This will launch in October, and the employees will have partial or complete hearing loss and communicate in American Sign Language.
When will companies in India get inspired to take similar steps towards inclusion?
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News