21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Thalassemia
August 17, 2018
As part of the weekly series where we tell our readers about the 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016, this week we will talk about thalassemia.
What is Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a range of blood disorders and is caused by abnormal production of the hemoglobin in body. Blood carries hemoglobin that contains iron molecule and is responsible for the transportation of oxygen in the body.
It is not one disease but a group of blood problems. The symptoms of the disorder vary from person to person. Some people are affected severely by thalassemia, while some are not affected at all.
Cause and Diagnosis of Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a genetic disorder and is passed on to a person through parents.
The diagnosis is normally done by blood tests including a complete blood count, special hemoglobin tests, and genetic tests. The presence of the disorder can also be detected before birth through prenatal testing.
Types of Thalassemia disorders
Hemoglobin is made up of two vital proteins, alpha and beta. Without enough of one or the other, red blood cells are not able to carry oxygen properly.
The blood disorder is of two types, Alpha thalassemia and Beta thalassemia.
Shortage of alpha hemoglobin results in Alpha thalassemia while the lack of beta thalassemia results in beta hemoglobin.
Symptoms of Thalassemia
Here are some common symptoms experienced by people with thalassemia.
- delayed growth in children
- Weak bones
- Enlarged spleen
- Pale or yellow skin
- Dark urine
- Poor appetite
- Heart problems
Treatment of Thalassemia
For people with mild symptoms a regular treatment is not required.
However, the shortage of oxygen can cause severe symptoms in some people and they have to get regular blood transfusions.
Thalassemia patients are now covered under RPWD 2016 to ensure them the rights, benefits and support they need.RPWD states that Thalassemia patients deserve life with dignity and respect.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Events March 14, 2019 Fun Club
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 #WonderWoman - Acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal shows incredible will in the face of repeated odds
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Headlines March 15, 2019 21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News