21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Thalassemia
As part of the weekly series where we tell our readers about the 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016, this week we will talk about thalassemia.
What is Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a range of blood disorders and is caused by abnormal production of the hemoglobin in body. Blood carries hemoglobin that contains iron molecule and is responsible for the transportation of oxygen in the body.
It is not one disease but a group of blood problems. The symptoms of the disorder vary from person to person. Some people are affected severely by thalassemia, while some are not affected at all.
Cause and Diagnosis of Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a genetic disorder and is passed on to a person through parents.
The diagnosis is normally done by blood tests including a complete blood count, special hemoglobin tests, and genetic tests. The presence of the disorder can also be detected before birth through prenatal testing.
Types of Thalassemia disorders
Hemoglobin is made up of two vital proteins, alpha and beta. Without enough of one or the other, red blood cells are not able to carry oxygen properly.
The blood disorder is of two types, Alpha thalassemia and Beta thalassemia.
Shortage of alpha hemoglobin results in Alpha thalassemia while the lack of beta thalassemia results in beta hemoglobin.
Symptoms of Thalassemia
Here are some common symptoms experienced by people with thalassemia.
• delayed growth in children
• Weak bones
• Enlarged spleen
• Pale or yellow skin
• Dark urine
• Poor appetite
• Heart problems
Treatment of Thalassemia
For people with mild symptoms a regular treatment is not required.
However, the shortage of oxygen can cause severe symptoms in some people and they have to get regular blood transfusions.
Thalassemia patients are now covered under RPWD 2016 to ensure them the rights, benefits and support they need.RPWD states that Thalassemia patients deserve life with dignity and respect.
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
- Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
- Help your child with autism sleep better
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Virat Kohli apologises after getting trolled for 'Leave India' comment to fan
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 India takes the fight against leprosy to people's doorsteps
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Miss Deaf Asia Nishtha Dudeja credits her win to a fighting spirit, a Newz Hook exclusive
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Sabarimala remains turbulent as communal tenions continue
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Protests intensifies as Sabarimala opens for monthly puja
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 9, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018