21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Thalassemia
As part of the weekly series where we tell our readers about the 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016, this week we will talk about thalassemia.
What is Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a range of blood disorders and is caused by abnormal production of the hemoglobin in body. Blood carries hemoglobin that contains iron molecule and is responsible for the transportation of oxygen in the body.
It is not one disease but a group of blood problems. The symptoms of the disorder vary from person to person. Some people are affected severely by thalassemia, while some are not affected at all.
Cause and Diagnosis of Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a genetic disorder and is passed on to a person through parents.
The diagnosis is normally done by blood tests including a complete blood count, special hemoglobin tests, and genetic tests. The presence of the disorder can also be detected before birth through prenatal testing.
Types of Thalassemia disorders
Hemoglobin is made up of two vital proteins, alpha and beta. Without enough of one or the other, red blood cells are not able to carry oxygen properly.
The blood disorder is of two types, Alpha thalassemia and Beta thalassemia.
Shortage of alpha hemoglobin results in Alpha thalassemia while the lack of beta thalassemia results in beta hemoglobin.
Symptoms of Thalassemia
Here are some common symptoms experienced by people with thalassemia.
• delayed growth in children
• Weak bones
• Enlarged spleen
• Pale or yellow skin
• Dark urine
• Poor appetite
• Heart problems
Treatment of Thalassemia
For people with mild symptoms a regular treatment is not required.
However, the shortage of oxygen can cause severe symptoms in some people and they have to get regular blood transfusions.
Thalassemia patients are now covered under RPWD 2016 to ensure them the rights, benefits and support they need.RPWD states that Thalassemia patients deserve life with dignity and respect.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Tight security for women who entered Sabarimala
- Headlines January 21, 2019 PM launches National Museum of Indian Cinema
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Headlines January 23, 2019 PM Modi’s gifts to be auctioned for Ganga
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 15, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News