21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Thalassemia
August 17, 2018
As part of the weekly series where we tell our readers about the 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016, this week we will talk about thalassemia.
What is Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a range of blood disorders and is caused by abnormal production of the hemoglobin in body. Blood carries hemoglobin that contains iron molecule and is responsible for the transportation of oxygen in the body.
It is not one disease but a group of blood problems. The symptoms of the disorder vary from person to person. Some people are affected severely by thalassemia, while some are not affected at all.
Cause and Diagnosis of Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a genetic disorder and is passed on to a person through parents.
The diagnosis is normally done by blood tests including a complete blood count, special hemoglobin tests, and genetic tests. The presence of the disorder can also be detected before birth through prenatal testing.
Types of Thalassemia disorders
Hemoglobin is made up of two vital proteins, alpha and beta. Without enough of one or the other, red blood cells are not able to carry oxygen properly.
The blood disorder is of two types, Alpha thalassemia and Beta thalassemia.
Shortage of alpha hemoglobin results in Alpha thalassemia while the lack of beta thalassemia results in beta hemoglobin.
Symptoms of Thalassemia
Here are some common symptoms experienced by people with thalassemia.
- delayed growth in children
- Weak bones
- Enlarged spleen
- Pale or yellow skin
- Dark urine
- Poor appetite
- Heart problems
Treatment of Thalassemia
For people with mild symptoms a regular treatment is not required.
However, the shortage of oxygen can cause severe symptoms in some people and they have to get regular blood transfusions.
Thalassemia patients are now covered under RPWD 2016 to ensure them the rights, benefits and support they need.RPWD states that Thalassemia patients deserve life with dignity and respect.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 This Pune-based centre aims to build awareness, fight the stigma around schizophrenia
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News