With XL Cinema app, blind & visually impaired people can enjoy films!
August 9, 2018
Its called XL Cinema and the app allows users to enjoy a film in any langauge of their choice at theatres. Developed by engineer Kunal Prasad and his wife, Deeti, the app will allow everyone, the visually impaired, sighted or those who have language challenges to enjoy films.
XL Cinema synchronises the movie's visuals and enables different audio tracks exclusively for the user. It has an audio description mode that narrates the non-verbal parts of the film. This means expressions and special effects to the viewer so a blind person can enjoy the film better.
The technology is not limited to any particular geographical area. If audio facilities are available on the app, a user can generate an audio ticket by clicking on the app and selecting the mode of choice.
Once inside the theatre, the app automatically synchronises the choice of audio with the visual and the user can access it via headphones.
The content for the audio description has been created by the NGO Saksham.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Employment April 23, 2019 Finding right jobs still remains a struggle for adults with autism
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News