With XL Cinema app, blind & visually impaired people can enjoy films!
August 9, 2018
Its called XL Cinema and the app allows users to enjoy a film in any langauge of their choice at theatres. Developed by engineer Kunal Prasad and his wife, Deeti, the app will allow everyone, the visually impaired, sighted or those who have language challenges to enjoy films.
XL Cinema synchronises the movie's visuals and enables different audio tracks exclusively for the user. It has an audio description mode that narrates the non-verbal parts of the film. This means expressions and special effects to the viewer so a blind person can enjoy the film better.
The technology is not limited to any particular geographical area. If audio facilities are available on the app, a user can generate an audio ticket by clicking on the app and selecting the mode of choice.
Once inside the theatre, the app automatically synchronises the choice of audio with the visual and the user can access it via headphones.
The content for the audio description has been created by the NGO Saksham.
Watch in Sign Language
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News