Disabled Delhi boy denied medical seat, disability rights groups sprung into action
August 11, 2018
Over the past few months, many disabled students, in spite of good academic scores, have been asked to give up their seats in professional colleges. This is just because they do not adhere to the benchmark provided in the disability quota!
Latest to join the wagon is a 17 year old student from New Delhi. The boy had already gotten admissions into the University College of Medical Sciences that comes under Delhi University. He even attended six days of classes. College authorities asked him to surrender his seat because the medical board found out that his disability is between 21-39%. This makes him ineligible for the disability quota through which he landed an admission at the college!
The boy who was diagnosed with haemophilia, a disorder in which blood doesn't clot normally, is heartbroken. The teenager is all set to move to court to get justice.
The Haemophilia Federation and the National Thalassemia Welfare Society have already written to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) regarding this matter.
The court has kept the case for hearing on 14 August. Meanwhile, organizations, NGO's and medical council are already in a thug of war regarding admission of this teenager who wants to pursue a career in medicine. Will the court rule in favour of him? We are yet to hear that.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 ‘Chaya’, a theatre performance by wheelchair users in Kerala, becomes grand success
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 23, 2019 Congress leader Sam Pitroda questions airstrike in Balakot
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News