Disabled Delhi boy denied medical seat, disability rights groups sprung into action
August 11, 2018
Over the past few months, many disabled students, in spite of good academic scores, have been asked to give up their seats in professional colleges. This is just because they do not adhere to the benchmark provided in the disability quota!
Latest to join the wagon is a 17 year old student from New Delhi. The boy had already gotten admissions into the University College of Medical Sciences that comes under Delhi University. He even attended six days of classes. College authorities asked him to surrender his seat because the medical board found out that his disability is between 21-39%. This makes him ineligible for the disability quota through which he landed an admission at the college!
The boy who was diagnosed with haemophilia, a disorder in which blood doesn't clot normally, is heartbroken. The teenager is all set to move to court to get justice.
The Haemophilia Federation and the National Thalassemia Welfare Society have already written to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) regarding this matter.
The court has kept the case for hearing on 14 August. Meanwhile, organizations, NGO's and medical council are already in a thug of war regarding admission of this teenager who wants to pursue a career in medicine. Will the court rule in favour of him? We are yet to hear that.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 24, 2019 Rahul concedes defeat, congratulates PM
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Children with autism more prone to sleep problems, says focused study
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 The thrills & chills of being a showstopper - Guest column by Simran Chawla
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Headlines May 26, 2019 Rahul Gandhi's resignation offer rejected
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 Sports has many benefits for amputees, so go for it, say experts
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News