First as a soldier & now as a sportsperson, Suresh Karki continues to make India proud
The will and determination shown by India's jawans is legendary. Their daring deeds at the borders and on the battlefield is well known.
Suresh Kumar Karki, a retired Lance Naik, is the very symbol of that. Karki met with an accident that made him a paraplegic and he had to retire from the Army. His strong will remained unbeaten and this retired jawan now represents India in various international sporting events. He has won many medals in basketball, which Karki believes is another way of serving the country.
Posted in the Gorkha Rifles, Suresh was a part of a platoon stationed in Assam during the 2004 conflict. His bus met with an accident and his spinal cord was damaged.
He was in severe pain and went through many surgeries. His treatment continued for many years and he was admitted to the paraplegic rehabilitation center in Pune where he saw many people with problems like his.
He also saw that they participated enthusiastically in sports like basketball and badminton. This motivated Karki to move past his pain.
Karki has won gold in various national badminton tournaments. He is also a part of the Maharashtra that has won the national championship every year since 2014.
Karki focuses on badminton and basketball. He has set himself a higher target, which is the 2020 Para Olympics.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News