First as a soldier & now as a sportsperson, Suresh Karki continues to make India proud
August 13, 2018
The will and determination shown by India's jawans is legendary. Their daring deeds at the borders and on the battlefield is well known.
Suresh Kumar Karki, a retired Lance Naik, is the very symbol of that. Karki met with an accident that made him a paraplegic and he had to retire from the Army. His strong will remained unbeaten and this retired jawan now represents India in various international sporting events. He has won many medals in basketball, which Karki believes is another way of serving the country.
Posted in the Gorkha Rifles, Suresh was a part of a platoon stationed in Assam during the 2004 conflict. His bus met with an accident and his spinal cord was damaged.
He was in severe pain and went through many surgeries. His treatment continued for many years and he was admitted to the paraplegic rehabilitation center in Pune where he saw many people with problems like his.
He also saw that they participated enthusiastically in sports like basketball and badminton. This motivated Karki to move past his pain.
Karki has won gold in various national badminton tournaments. He is also a part of the Maharashtra that has won the national championship every year since 2014.
Karki focuses on badminton and basketball. He has set himself a higher target, which is the 2020 Para Olympics.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News