Hollywood action hero Dwayne Johnson criticised for playing role of disabled person in latest film
Known as The Rock, popular Hollywood action hero Dwayne Johnson took time out to pay tribute to the amputee community. This is after he has faced strong criticism for his role in his latest action movie Skyscraper.
After a screening of his film at a rehabilitation institute at New York, Johnson paid a tribute on Twitter:
Unforgettable time spent with amputees, Dr’s & friends showing them SKYSCRAPER. Thank you for the love and support of our film and me playing an amputee - Dwayne Johnson
In the film, Johnson plays a below-the-knee amputee veteran who must rescue his family from a burning skyscraper. The casting of an able-bodied person for the role has led many people with disabilities in the United States to criticise Hollywood's exclusion of the disabled community.
Many activists wrote to Johnson to stop agreeing to play such roles and to support true inclusion.
There is a long history of able-bodied actors playing amputees in Hollywood. Most recently, Jake Gyllenhaal in the film Stronger, Ansel Elgort in The Fault in Our Stars and Gary Sinise in Forrest Gump.
Activists say that little has changed for disabled people in Hollywood and that instead of making a genuine shift towards inclusion, people with disabilities remain marginalised.
Skyscraper" opened in theaters on 13 July.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News