Encourage your special needs child in these ways!
August 16, 2018
Many parents in India have children with one or more disabilities. Lack of awareness and sometimes embarrassment results in many of these children failing to get proper care.
Instead, parents tend to be extra cautious and handle them with kid gloves. Many experts say that parents of children with disabilities must understand that given encouragement and the right amount of freedom, such children can adjust and grow outside their home environment. So, it is important they should not be kept confined in their homes.
So, what can parents of special needs children do to enable them to be independent? Here some tips:
- Show confidence - This means that as a parent, you must show support towards any strength that you child shows. This might be a skill that is not valued by a teacher or a school. This could be a talent for music, or a sport. Show that you are confident and proud of their skills and them pursue it.
- Have faith in your child - Never lose your patience because your child has a learning disability. They might be good in studies, but they will have different skills that you can support.
- Don't think they are lazy - Not doing well in academics or sports is not a sign of being lazy or lacking motivation. As a parent, you should help them understand things instead of imposing your desires on them.
- Support their interests - If your child likes painting, do everything you can to support it. Its all about encouraging and supporting what they are good at.
- Don't forget to praise them - Never miss a single chance to praise even the smallest effort. This will help boost their confidence.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Hi-tech hearing implants must be followed by rehab programmes say experts
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 #BeingMom - Pratibha Bhatnagar shows us why mothers are such champions
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Headlines May 26, 2019 #SidhuQuitPolitics trends on social media
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News