Encourage your special needs child in these ways!
Many parents in India have children with one or more disabilities. Lack of awareness and sometimes embarrassment results in many of these children failing to get proper care.
Instead, parents tend to be extra cautious and handle them with kid gloves. Many experts say that parents of children with disabilities must understand that given encouragement and the right amount of freedom, such children can adjust and grow outside their home environment. So, it is important they should not be kept confined in their homes.
So, what can parents of special needs children do to enable them to be independent? Here some tips:
- Show confidence - This means that as a parent, you must show support towards any strength that you child shows. This might be a skill that is not valued by a teacher or a school. This could be a talent for music, or a sport. Show that you are confident and proud of their skills and them pursue it.
- Have faith in your child - Never lose your patience because your child has a learning disability. They might be good in studies, but they will have different skills that you can support.
- Don't think they are lazy - Not doing well in academics or sports is not a sign of being lazy or lacking motivation. As a parent, you should help them understand things instead of imposing your desires on them.
- Support their interests - If your child likes painting, do everything you can to support it. Its all about encouraging and supporting what they are good at.
- Don't forget to praise them - Never miss a single chance to praise even the smallest effort. This will help boost their confidence.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
January 22, 2019
- Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
- Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
January 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 17, 2019 India's D Gukesh is world’s 2nd youngest chess grandmaster
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Fans troll Virat for spending quality time with Anushka
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Headlines January 18, 2019 India to face Australia in ODI final today
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Employment January 17, 2019 How to make the workplace suitable for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
- Headlines January 16, 2019 India beats Australia by 6 wickets in second ODI
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News