Election Commission among organisations & people honoured with NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards
The Election Commission of India was among the organisations recognised for promoting accessibility by India’s leading cross-disability organisation, the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People.
The ninth edition of the NCPEDP Mphasis Universal Design Awards awarded the Election Commission for working towards making auxiliary polling stations for disabled people in the upcoming polls.
The awards honoured several individuals and organisations for their contribution in actively promoting accessibility for persons with disabilities. They were handed out by Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri and senior journalist Shekhar Gupta.
The Election Commission (EC) has been working actively to improve facilities for disabled people from providing ramps, giving priority entry, allowing companions, and sensitising poll officers and staff. 2018 has been declared the Year of Accessible Elections and the EC has set up a technical committee especially for this purpose.
Other awardees are Alim Chandani, associate vice president of Centum Foundation, who was honoured for leading the foundation’s GRO initiative, which is dedicated to disabled people. It has a Deaf Skill Training Hub, designed by experts that provides training on ways to empower the deaf, and equips them with language skills.
Also recognised was Dhananjay Bhole, coordinator of the Centre for Inclusive Education and Accessibility at the Savitribai Phule Pune University. Bhole provides support services to 700 affiliated institutions, along with his students.
Among the others who were awarded were:
- Harish Kumar, founder, Ability on Wheels.
- Dr. J.S. Arora, general secretary, National Thalassemia Welfare Society
- Tigmanshu Bhatnagar of IIT Delhi.
- Vishal Kapoor, chief design officer of Future Enterprise, Orkids Foundation.
- Ezy Mov Solution
- Amar Jain, Associate (Equity Capital Market), Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas.
- Vishal Kumar Jain, senior manager, HR MIS & Analytics, TATA Motors, Diversity and Equal Opportunity Centre.
- National Association of the Deaf.