Wadekar's death leaves India's physically disabled cricketers orphaned, hope Sachin will fill his shoes
The death of Ajit Wadekar has left India's physically disabled cricketers at the crossroads. It was Wadekar who, 30 years ago, formed the All-India Cricket Association for Physically Challenged (AICAPC). This was the first formal body for disabled cricketers, and the mission was to ensure equal opportunities for disabled cricketers.
Since then the team has won considerable success. India's team of physically disabled cricketers have beaten Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Singapore. They have also played in the World Cup.
Yet, the AICAPC is yet to be recognised by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Now after Wadekar's death, they are worried about the future as Wadekar used to push for recognition from the BCCI as well a funds for their progress.
Wadekar, who was one of India’s most successful coaches, was constantly in touch with the BCCI to push for the cause of the physically disabled players. This helped them to organise funds for tournaments.
The physically disabled cricketers are hoping that another prominent player will come to their support. They are hoping that Sachin Tendulkar will fill those shoes. Sachin was close to Wadekar so they are hoping to persuade him to take on the charge.
Watch in Sign Language
- Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
November 11, 2018
- First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
November 9, 2018
- India's wheelchair basketball players get tips from the best in the game at Chennai camp
November 7, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Sabarimala remains turbulent as communal tenions continue
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Technology November 13, 2018 Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
- Headlines November 11, 2018 ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ crosses Rs 50 crore on first day of release
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 India takes the fight against leprosy to people's doorsteps
- Events November 8, 2018 South India Level Blind Volleyball Tournament 2018
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports November 11, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018