Google working on developing native hearing aid support for Android
In most cases, Bluetooth hearing aids have been easily compatible with iPhones. In the case of Android, fragmentation has made it difficult for hearing aid makers to provide support to Android devices.
Now Google is working to bring native hearing aid support for streaming on Android. It is working with GN Hearing, a Danish hearing aid manufacturer, to create a new hearing aid spec for Android smartphones called ASHA.
ASHA, which stands for Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids, is designed to be battery-efficient as well as provide high quality audio with low latency. Hearing aids using this spec will be able to connect to and stream from Android devices without having to use another intermediate device.
ASHA will enable Bluetooth hearing aids to be used the same way as headphones, used to call friends or listen to music.
Google has also published the new protocol specifications online. This is to enable any hearing aid manufacturer to build native hearing aid support for Android.
GN Hearing has said that ReSound LiNX Quattro and Beltone Amaze will be the first hearing aids to receive direct streaming support in a future update.
Watch in Sign Language
- Artificial intelligence-based wheelchair that can be controlled with expressions? Read more
January 12, 2019
- Facing Emotions app by Huawei aims to help blind people understand facial expressions
January 7, 2019
- VOIS wearable tech for deaf people promises to end communication barriers
January 4, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 10, 2019 4th All India Deaf Fine And Craft Festival
- Get-hooked January 12, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked January 13, 2019 Understanding the communication disorder Echolalia
- Accessibility January 15, 2019 Gujarat National Law University sets up Enabling Unit for disabled students
- Headlines January 11, 2019 Rajinikanth's Petta gets thumbs up from fans
- Get-hooked January 11, 2019 Former blind cricket captain Shekhar Naik's special gesture for homeless people
- Headlines January 10, 2019 Elections will not disrupt India's plan to host all IPL matches
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Headlines January 16, 2019 MeToo: Film industry members defend Raju Hirani
- Accessibility January 14, 2019 Toybank - Development through Play is enabling disabled kids to discover the power of play
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News