Google working on developing native hearing aid support for Android
August 19, 2018
In most cases, Bluetooth hearing aids have been easily compatible with iPhones. In the case of Android, fragmentation has made it difficult for hearing aid makers to provide support to Android devices.
Now Google is working to bring native hearing aid support for streaming on Android. It is working with GN Hearing, a Danish hearing aid manufacturer, to create a new hearing aid spec for Android smartphones called ASHA.
ASHA, which stands for Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids, is designed to be battery-efficient as well as provide high quality audio with low latency. Hearing aids using this spec will be able to connect to and stream from Android devices without having to use another intermediate device.
ASHA will enable Bluetooth hearing aids to be used the same way as headphones, used to call friends or listen to music.
Google has also published the new protocol specifications online. This is to enable any hearing aid manufacturer to build native hearing aid support for Android.
GN Hearing has said that ReSound LiNX Quattro and Beltone Amaze will be the first hearing aids to receive direct streaming support in a future update.
Watch in Sign Language
- With Inali Arm, developer Prashant Gade aims to change the outlook of people with upper limb disabilities
March 14, 2019
- BDD Assist aims to revolutionise lives of blind and deaf people, gets mixed reviews
March 9, 2019
- Raised Line Foundation, an IIT-Delhi initiative, is working to bring the power of choice to visually impaired students
March 5, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Dance therapy does wonders for disabled kids. Check it out
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News