Google working on developing native hearing aid support for Android
In most cases, Bluetooth hearing aids have been easily compatible with iPhones. In the case of Android, fragmentation has made it difficult for hearing aid makers to provide support to Android devices.
Now Google is working to bring native hearing aid support for streaming on Android. It is working with GN Hearing, a Danish hearing aid manufacturer, to create a new hearing aid spec for Android smartphones called ASHA.
ASHA, which stands for Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids, is designed to be battery-efficient as well as provide high quality audio with low latency. Hearing aids using this spec will be able to connect to and stream from Android devices without having to use another intermediate device.
ASHA will enable Bluetooth hearing aids to be used the same way as headphones, used to call friends or listen to music.
Google has also published the new protocol specifications online. This is to enable any hearing aid manufacturer to build native hearing aid support for Android.
GN Hearing has said that ReSound LiNX Quattro and Beltone Amaze will be the first hearing aids to receive direct streaming support in a future update.
Watch in Sign Language
- Artificial Intelligence makes a huge impact in lives of disabled people
November 19, 2018
- Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
November 13, 2018
- Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
November 12, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Parasports November 16, 2018 Help blind athletes achieve their best by funding sighted guides, says blind Paralympian Ankur Dhama
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Education November 15, 2018 Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Events November 21, 2018 Deaf Stomp 2018
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018