Google working on developing native hearing aid support for Android
August 19, 2018
In most cases, Bluetooth hearing aids have been easily compatible with iPhones. In the case of Android, fragmentation has made it difficult for hearing aid makers to provide support to Android devices.
Now Google is working to bring native hearing aid support for streaming on Android. It is working with GN Hearing, a Danish hearing aid manufacturer, to create a new hearing aid spec for Android smartphones called ASHA.
ASHA, which stands for Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids, is designed to be battery-efficient as well as provide high quality audio with low latency. Hearing aids using this spec will be able to connect to and stream from Android devices without having to use another intermediate device.
ASHA will enable Bluetooth hearing aids to be used the same way as headphones, used to call friends or listen to music.
Google has also published the new protocol specifications online. This is to enable any hearing aid manufacturer to build native hearing aid support for Android.
GN Hearing has said that ReSound LiNX Quattro and Beltone Amaze will be the first hearing aids to receive direct streaming support in a future update.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
May 23, 2019
- Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
May 15, 2019
- Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
May 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Understanding Phantom Limb Pain
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 #BeingMom - Pratibha Bhatnagar shows us why mothers are such champions
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Headlines May 26, 2019 Rahul Gandhi's resignation offer rejected
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 Sports has many benefits for amputees, so go for it, say experts
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News