Some doggy love can help reduce signs of ADHD in kids
Dogs provide the best company, this we all know. But they can also be therapeutic! A new study shows that canine therapy helps reduce signs of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in kids.
The study says that children with ADHD who receive canine-assisted intervention (CAI) show a reduction in inattention and better social skills. The research was done on children between the ages of two and nine with ADHD who had never taken any medication for their disorder.
While interventions not involving dogs are also helpful in lowering ADHD signs, it was found that those children who did get some doggy therapy showed an improvement earlier.
Parents of children who received the benefit of canine-assisted therapy also said that they faced fewer behavioural problems in the future.
Animal-assisted intervention has been used for many decades. But it is only in recent years that there has been strong evidence to show just how effective this is for lowering stress, improving cognitive function, reducing problem behaviours and improving attention.
This means that families of kids with ADHD have the option of seeking alternative or parallel therapies along with medication.
Watch in Sign Language
- #LovePossible - Newlyweds Shilpa & Danish Mahajan are setting serious couple goals
February 21, 2019
- New initiative called iDARE in Goa aims to fight for the rights of disabled people
February 21, 2019
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019