Feeling Fireworks, Disney's latest project allows blind people to experience fireworks!
August 21, 2018
Now a blind and visually person can actually 'feel' fireworks! Thanks to Disney's latest project, called Feeling Fireworks, the thrill and magic of a fireworks display is set to become inclusive!
Feeling Fireworks is a collaboration between Disney Research and German tech university, UTH Zurich. It is mostly made up of a large latex screen that users put their hands against.
There is a motion-sensing input device behind the screen which will sense the user's hands and direct water jets at the screen, which is flexible. This will allow the user to feel tactile fireworks.
The water jets have different nozzles for specific effects. There are two nozzles, each with a blooming effect and a crackle effect, and there are three nozzles for producing rockets and explosions.
These nozzles are placed on a revolving stand, which allows for free movement across the screen, while the water is pumped through a controlled system.
Disney says the project is open for all and will be showcased as an installation during a fireworks show. The project is in a demonstration phase as of now and has only been tested with people who can see.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
May 23, 2019
- Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
May 15, 2019
- Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
May 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Events May 17, 2019 Multiple Sclerosis - Invisible Symptoms
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Get-hooked May 16, 2019 #BeingMom - What makes Nalini Srivastava such a power mom?
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News