Feeling Fireworks, Disney's latest project allows blind people to experience fireworks!
August 21, 2018
Now a blind and visually person can actually 'feel' fireworks! Thanks to Disney's latest project, called Feeling Fireworks, the thrill and magic of a fireworks display is set to become inclusive!
Feeling Fireworks is a collaboration between Disney Research and German tech university, UTH Zurich. It is mostly made up of a large latex screen that users put their hands against.
There is a motion-sensing input device behind the screen which will sense the user's hands and direct water jets at the screen, which is flexible. This will allow the user to feel tactile fireworks.
The water jets have different nozzles for specific effects. There are two nozzles, each with a blooming effect and a crackle effect, and there are three nozzles for producing rockets and explosions.
These nozzles are placed on a revolving stand, which allows for free movement across the screen, while the water is pumped through a controlled system.
Disney says the project is open for all and will be showcased as an installation during a fireworks show. The project is in a demonstration phase as of now and has only been tested with people who can see.
Watch in Sign Language
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
- 18-year-old with autism wins fans across the world with his app Aumi
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Ex Minister Arun Jaitley is no more
- Get-Hooked August 26, 2019 Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Get-Hooked August 24, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 17 – Aug 23
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Headlines August 26, 2019 Arun Jaitley cremated with full state honours
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News