21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Blindness
August 24, 2018
Today we will talk about Blindness, one of the 21 disabilities that is covered under the RPWD ACT 2016.
As per law people are considered to be blind or with low vision if they have any of the following conditions
- Total absence of sight or
- Visual acuity not exceeding 6/60 or 20/200 in the better eye with correcting lenses
- Limitation of the field vision subtending an angle of 20 degree or worse.
- A person with impairment of visual functioning but is potentially capable of using vision for the planning or execution of a task with appropriate assistive device.
As per the World Health Organization, Blindness is defined as vision in a person's best eye with best correction of less than 20/500 or a visual field of less than 10 degrees.
In India a person with a clarity of vision or Visual Acuity < 6/60 is legally blind. India changed its definition of blindness in 2017. Before that, for almost four decades since 1976, a person who was unable to count fingers from a distance of three metres would be considered "blind". However, now a person who is unable to count fingers from a distance of six metres is considered disabled due to blindness.
India accounts for the largest number of people with blindness. As per data, out of the 37 million blind people across the world, at least 15 million are in India.
Sadly the data also states that 75% of these are cases of avoidable blindness, but due to lack of awareness and medical facilities, the numbers continue to grow.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Mumbai bridge collapse - Families demand answers
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Disabled boy's long fight for a village school pays off, Prime Minister Modi's office intervenes
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Events March 14, 2019 World Down Syndrome Celebration
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News