Check out these unique rakhis designed by Shaurya, an artist with Down syndrome
August 22, 2018
Looking for something unique this Raksha Bandhan? Check out rakhis made of ceramic, colourfully and uniquely designed by Banana Studio.
This art studio in Gurugram is run by 30-year-old ceramist Shaurya Mehrotra and his mother, Nina Mehrotra. Shaurya, who has Down syndrome, has traveled widely to learn the art to countries like China and South Africa.
The studio was set up in 2013 and is a wonderful niche where people come to hang out and appreciate Shaurya's treasures.
The idea of making ceramic rakhis is something that struck us this year. We made rakhia last year which were very appreciated and we thought since we work with clay, why not make ceramic rakhis. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
The rakhis are a team effort. While Shaurya rolls out the clay and cuts the pieces out and colours them, his mother then colours the pieces and does the fine work.
Shaurya loves Raksha Bandhan and looks forward to the day every year. He has cousins whom he liked tying rakhis too and he loves to wear one too, which makes this special for many reasons. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
Small and pretty with colourful motifs, the rakhis are available in different sizes - big, medium, and small. While the thread size is common to all, the size is a matter of preference. They are priced at Rs 80, Rs 70 and Rs 60. A steal for Rs 80 given how unique the idea is!
So, come check them out at the Banana Studio at 320, Eros City Square, Sector 49, Gurugram.
Call 095829 01844 to know more.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 15, 2019 21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Events March 14, 2019 Fun Club
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Disabled boy's long fight for a village school pays off, Prime Minister Modi's office intervenes
- Events March 14, 2019 Sangarsh'19
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News