Check out these unique rakhis designed by Shaurya, an artist with Down syndrome
August 22, 2018
Looking for something unique this Raksha Bandhan? Check out rakhis made of ceramic, colourfully and uniquely designed by Banana Studio.
This art studio in Gurugram is run by 30-year-old ceramist Shaurya Mehrotra and his mother, Nina Mehrotra. Shaurya, who has Down syndrome, has traveled widely to learn the art to countries like China and South Africa.
The studio was set up in 2013 and is a wonderful niche where people come to hang out and appreciate Shaurya's treasures.
The idea of making ceramic rakhis is something that struck us this year. We made rakhia last year which were very appreciated and we thought since we work with clay, why not make ceramic rakhis. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
The rakhis are a team effort. While Shaurya rolls out the clay and cuts the pieces out and colours them, his mother then colours the pieces and does the fine work.
Shaurya loves Raksha Bandhan and looks forward to the day every year. He has cousins whom he liked tying rakhis too and he loves to wear one too, which makes this special for many reasons. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
Small and pretty with colourful motifs, the rakhis are available in different sizes - big, medium, and small. While the thread size is common to all, the size is a matter of preference. They are priced at Rs 80, Rs 70 and Rs 60. A steal for Rs 80 given how unique the idea is!
So, come check them out at the Banana Studio at 320, Eros City Square, Sector 49, Gurugram.
Call 095829 01844 to know more.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Headlines August 26, 2019 Arun Jaitley cremated with full state honours
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Ex Minister Arun Jaitley is no more
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Singer Mika apologizes to nation
- Employment August 26, 2019 Sample these wholesome & delicious cookies baked by people with Down syndrome at Satya Bakery
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News