Check out these unique rakhis designed by Shaurya, an artist with Down syndrome
Looking for something unique this Raksha Bandhan? Check out rakhis made of ceramic, colourfully and uniquely designed by Banana Studio.
This art studio in Gurugram is run by 30-year-old ceramist Shaurya Mehrotra and his mother, Nina Mehrotra. Shaurya, who has Down syndrome, has traveled widely to learn the art to countries like China and South Africa.
The studio was set up in 2013 and is a wonderful niche where people come to hang out and appreciate Shaurya's treasures.
The idea of making ceramic rakhis is something that struck us this year. We made rakhia last year which were very appreciated and we thought since we work with clay, why not make ceramic rakhis. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
The rakhis are a team effort. While Shaurya rolls out the clay and cuts the pieces out and colours them, his mother then colours the pieces and does the fine work.
Shaurya loves Raksha Bandhan and looks forward to the day every year. He has cousins whom he liked tying rakhis too and he loves to wear one too, which makes this special for many reasons. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
Small and pretty with colourful motifs, the rakhis are available in different sizes - big, medium, and small. While the thread size is common to all, the size is a matter of preference. They are priced at Rs 80, Rs 70 and Rs 60. A steal for Rs 80 given how unique the idea is!
So, come check them out at the Banana Studio at 320, Eros City Square, Sector 49, Gurugram.
Call 095829 01844 to know more.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Headlines January 23, 2019 Indian-origin Kamala Harris to run for U.S president
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
- Parasports January 22, 2019 “My blade are my wings to fly”- My Take by Sajesh Krishnan, Kerala’s first blade runner
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 13, 2019
Get-hooked January 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News