Check out these unique rakhis designed by Shaurya, an artist with Down syndrome
August 22, 2018
Looking for something unique this Raksha Bandhan? Check out rakhis made of ceramic, colourfully and uniquely designed by Banana Studio.
This art studio in Gurugram is run by 30-year-old ceramist Shaurya Mehrotra and his mother, Nina Mehrotra. Shaurya, who has Down syndrome, has traveled widely to learn the art to countries like China and South Africa.
The studio was set up in 2013 and is a wonderful niche where people come to hang out and appreciate Shaurya's treasures.
The idea of making ceramic rakhis is something that struck us this year. We made rakhia last year which were very appreciated and we thought since we work with clay, why not make ceramic rakhis. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
The rakhis are a team effort. While Shaurya rolls out the clay and cuts the pieces out and colours them, his mother then colours the pieces and does the fine work.
Shaurya loves Raksha Bandhan and looks forward to the day every year. He has cousins whom he liked tying rakhis too and he loves to wear one too, which makes this special for many reasons. - Nina Mehrotra, Co-founder, Banana Studio
Small and pretty with colourful motifs, the rakhis are available in different sizes - big, medium, and small. While the thread size is common to all, the size is a matter of preference. They are priced at Rs 80, Rs 70 and Rs 60. A steal for Rs 80 given how unique the idea is!
So, come check them out at the Banana Studio at 320, Eros City Square, Sector 49, Gurugram.
Call 095829 01844 to know more.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Headlines May 16, 2019 CRPF bans jawans from playing PUBG game
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News