Some tips for teachers of students with autism
Teachers are the source of knowledge and wisdom and this is the reason they are respected in Indian culture.
For children with autism, a teacher is even more important. A teacher is the adult outside the family with whom the kids spend a lot of time!
Children with autism are not social and find it difficult to connect or communicate with others. For them the teacher can act as a bridge between the home life and social life.
Teachers of children with autism should realize how important they can be for the future life and development of their students.
If you are a teacher with students with autism, there are a few things you can do to be a better educator. Here are a few of them:
• Get some information about autism if you have students with autism. Knowing about the disease will educate you and make it easier to understand the condition of your students. • Make contact with the parents of children with autism. Parents can provide you with useful information about their children. They can tell you about the child’s medical needs, behavior and much keeping in touch with the parents will also help build trust with the kids. You will also be able to know about any changes or improvement that the kids show through their parents.
• As an educator you also need to prepare the classroom as per the aptitude and requirements of the students. It may not always be possible to make physical changes but you can try and make the classroom comfortable for the special students.
• You must create a social environment in the class. This needs to be done to not only promote education but social skills of the children. The children should be able to communicate with their fellow students with your support and encouragement. The social skills will prove useful for your students as they grow up.
• The Individualized Education Program (IEP) is the guideline that lays down the education plan to be followed for children with special needs.The plan will also help prepare the child for the next level in the educational life.
• Children with autism may have some triggers that can change their behavior. Make yourself aware about the triggers and tantrums and how you can help them subside.
• Be patient and stay dedicated to being a good teacher. Even if your students do not communicate to you all the time, you can mean a lot to them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Home schooling now an option for children with disabilities in Maharashtra
January 16, 2019
- Some tips for teaching children with Down syndrome
January 11, 2019
- Madhya Pradesh gesture to promote inclusion gets a thumbs up
January 9, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Dhoni set to add another milestone
- Events January 23, 2019 State Level Workshop on Sustainable Development & Accessible Empowerment of Deaf
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education January 11, 2019
Get-hooked January 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News