Para table tennis players move Delhi High Court for inclusion in Asian games
August 24, 2018
Para-athletes in India often face discrimination and have to fight for their rights. Latest to join the wagon is a bunch of ten table tennis players! Ten para-athletes have approached the Delhi High Court to seek direction from the centre and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) to include them in the upcoming Asian Para Games scheduled to be held in October.
According to petitioners, the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) had already conducted a selection test where all the ten petitioners participated. 19 para-athletes were selected. All of the ten petitioners were also selected for it. But they soon realised that the selection team has arbitrarily and whimsically dropped them off the final list!
The petition also states that all these players hold international cards where they are allowed to play across the world. Denying them of that is a violation of their rights. Since these cards cost a fortune that goes up to lakhs, the players must be given a chance to prove their skills at an international platform. Many of them even took loans to obtain these cards!
The players asserted that in spite of repeated requests, the authorities turned a blind eye towards them. The Delhi High Court is likely to hear the petition on 24 August.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News