Para table tennis players move Delhi High Court for inclusion in Asian games
Para-athletes in India often face discrimination and have to fight for their rights. Latest to join the wagon is a bunch of ten table tennis players! Ten para-athletes have approached the Delhi High Court to seek direction from the centre and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) to include them in the upcoming Asian Para Games scheduled to be held in October.
According to petitioners, the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) had already conducted a selection test where all the ten petitioners participated. 19 para-athletes were selected. All of the ten petitioners were also selected for it. But they soon realised that the selection team has arbitrarily and whimsically dropped them off the final list!
The petition also states that all these players hold international cards where they are allowed to play across the world. Denying them of that is a violation of their rights. Since these cards cost a fortune that goes up to lakhs, the players must be given a chance to prove their skills at an international platform. Many of them even took loans to obtain these cards!
The players asserted that in spite of repeated requests, the authorities turned a blind eye towards them. The Delhi High Court is likely to hear the petition on 24 August.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News