IndiGo shows a big heart, carries wheelchairs for free for disabled people affected in Kerala floods
Sanitary pads, food, clothes..the relief materials being sent to Kerala is much needed. But there are not enough assistive devices and equipment for people with disabilities, who form a large part of those affected in Kerala's worst natural disaster in a 100 years.
A gap that the organization Nipman Foundation has stepped in to address. Co-founder Nipun Malhotra sent a large consignment of wheelchairs across to flood-affected people in Kerala via IndiGo on Thursday.
People with disabilities are affected in a major way in the Kerala floods. I was going to various organisations and seeing what they were doing, and I found that no disability aides were being sent. Our foundation has a campaign called 'Wheels For Life' and we decided to collaborate with IndiGo and send wheelchairs to Kerala - Nipun Malhotra, Disability Rights Activist
The first batch of wheelchairs, weighing a 100-kg, was flown to Thiruvananthapuram by IndiGo, free of cost. Its a truly heartwarming gesture given how expensive sending airline cargo is.
Nipman Foundation plans to send more wheelchairs in the weeks to come. The wheelchairs are being sent to the NGO Pain and Palliative Care Trust, which will distribute them to people with disabilities who lost their wheelchairs in the disaster as well as those who have sustained injuries.
The wheelchairs will be distributed on the occasion of Onam on Saturday. A gesture that will truly brighten the lives of many.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after protests in Sabarimala
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Events October 18, 2018 ConneXion
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Sneakers designed by Virat Kohli launched in India
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Get-hooked October 23, 2018 Hum-Drum, a participatory musical program for children with disabilities - My Take by Rzhude David
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Chaarana Centre for Special Needs is a haven for disabled children in Bengaluru
- Parasports October 22, 2018 Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News