IndiGo shows a big heart, carries wheelchairs for free for disabled people affected in Kerala floods
August 24, 2018
Sanitary pads, food, clothes..the relief materials being sent to Kerala is much needed. But there are not enough assistive devices and equipment for people with disabilities, who form a large part of those affected in Kerala's worst natural disaster in a 100 years.
A gap that the organization Nipman Foundation has stepped in to address. Co-founder Nipun Malhotra sent a large consignment of wheelchairs across to flood-affected people in Kerala via IndiGo on Thursday.
People with disabilities are affected in a major way in the Kerala floods. I was going to various organisations and seeing what they were doing, and I found that no disability aides were being sent. Our foundation has a campaign called 'Wheels For Life' and we decided to collaborate with IndiGo and send wheelchairs to Kerala - Nipun Malhotra, Disability Rights Activist
The first batch of wheelchairs, weighing a 100-kg, was flown to Thiruvananthapuram by IndiGo, free of cost. Its a truly heartwarming gesture given how expensive sending airline cargo is.
Nipman Foundation plans to send more wheelchairs in the weeks to come. The wheelchairs are being sent to the NGO Pain and Palliative Care Trust, which will distribute them to people with disabilities who lost their wheelchairs in the disaster as well as those who have sustained injuries.
The wheelchairs will be distributed on the occasion of Onam on Saturday. A gesture that will truly brighten the lives of many.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News