IndiGo shows a big heart, carries wheelchairs for free for disabled people affected in Kerala floods
Sanitary pads, food, clothes..the relief materials being sent to Kerala is much needed. But there are not enough assistive devices and equipment for people with disabilities, who form a large part of those affected in Kerala's worst natural disaster in a 100 years.
A gap that the organization Nipman Foundation has stepped in to address. Co-founder Nipun Malhotra sent a large consignment of wheelchairs across to flood-affected people in Kerala via IndiGo on Thursday.
People with disabilities are affected in a major way in the Kerala floods. I was going to various organisations and seeing what they were doing, and I found that no disability aides were being sent. Our foundation has a campaign called 'Wheels For Life' and we decided to collaborate with IndiGo and send wheelchairs to Kerala - Nipun Malhotra, Disability Rights Activist
The first batch of wheelchairs, weighing a 100-kg, was flown to Thiruvananthapuram by IndiGo, free of cost. Its a truly heartwarming gesture given how expensive sending airline cargo is.
Nipman Foundation plans to send more wheelchairs in the weeks to come. The wheelchairs are being sent to the NGO Pain and Palliative Care Trust, which will distribute them to people with disabilities who lost their wheelchairs in the disaster as well as those who have sustained injuries.
The wheelchairs will be distributed on the occasion of Onam on Saturday. A gesture that will truly brighten the lives of many.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News