IndiGo shows a big heart, carries wheelchairs for free for disabled people affected in Kerala floods
Sanitary pads, food, clothes..the relief materials being sent to Kerala is much needed. But there are not enough assistive devices and equipment for people with disabilities, who form a large part of those affected in Kerala's worst natural disaster in a 100 years.
A gap that the organization Nipman Foundation has stepped in to address. Co-founder Nipun Malhotra sent a large consignment of wheelchairs across to flood-affected people in Kerala via IndiGo on Thursday.
People with disabilities are affected in a major way in the Kerala floods. I was going to various organisations and seeing what they were doing, and I found that no disability aides were being sent. Our foundation has a campaign called 'Wheels For Life' and we decided to collaborate with IndiGo and send wheelchairs to Kerala - Nipun Malhotra, Disability Rights Activist
The first batch of wheelchairs, weighing a 100-kg, was flown to Thiruvananthapuram by IndiGo, free of cost. Its a truly heartwarming gesture given how expensive sending airline cargo is.
Nipman Foundation plans to send more wheelchairs in the weeks to come. The wheelchairs are being sent to the NGO Pain and Palliative Care Trust, which will distribute them to people with disabilities who lost their wheelchairs in the disaster as well as those who have sustained injuries.
The wheelchairs will be distributed on the occasion of Onam on Saturday. A gesture that will truly brighten the lives of many.
Watch in Sign Language
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018