IndiGo shows a big heart, carries wheelchairs for free for disabled people affected in Kerala floods
August 24, 2018
Sanitary pads, food, clothes..the relief materials being sent to Kerala is much needed. But there are not enough assistive devices and equipment for people with disabilities, who form a large part of those affected in Kerala's worst natural disaster in a 100 years.
A gap that the organization Nipman Foundation has stepped in to address. Co-founder Nipun Malhotra sent a large consignment of wheelchairs across to flood-affected people in Kerala via IndiGo on Thursday.
People with disabilities are affected in a major way in the Kerala floods. I was going to various organisations and seeing what they were doing, and I found that no disability aides were being sent. Our foundation has a campaign called 'Wheels For Life' and we decided to collaborate with IndiGo and send wheelchairs to Kerala - Nipun Malhotra, Disability Rights Activist
The first batch of wheelchairs, weighing a 100-kg, was flown to Thiruvananthapuram by IndiGo, free of cost. Its a truly heartwarming gesture given how expensive sending airline cargo is.
Nipman Foundation plans to send more wheelchairs in the weeks to come. The wheelchairs are being sent to the NGO Pain and Palliative Care Trust, which will distribute them to people with disabilities who lost their wheelchairs in the disaster as well as those who have sustained injuries.
The wheelchairs will be distributed on the occasion of Onam on Saturday. A gesture that will truly brighten the lives of many.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News